Mommy Makeover with High Blood Pressure (Controlled W/meds)

I'm 41 in good health except for HBP controlled/w meds.... am I a good candidate for a mommy makeover?  Also, I am an officer in a state prison. How long will it be before returning to work after surgery?

Candidate for mommy makeover?

+2

If your  blood pressure is well controlled there is no reason why you couldn't have your mommy makeover. For the kind of strenuous work that you do, unless there is light duty, I would recommend 6 weeks off, if possible.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

High Blood Pressure and Mommy makeover

+1

You should ensure yuo blood pressure is under control prior to undertaking any procedure. Mommy Makeovers are very safe and effective. We ensure safety through a proper physical exam, blood tests, a clearance from your primary doctor and a meetinfg with our board certified anesthesiologist. Safety should always be your forst priority. A mommy makeover is a combination od tummy tuck, in which the essence of the procedure is tightening your core, then secondarily redraping your skin to show off that tight core. The core tightening is essential because without it just skin removal is in effective. As we all know, skin stretches and will accomodate whatever the infrastructure (core) happens to be. Secondly a  breast procedure is done, usually implants to create a nutural, frash more youthful appearance. There is also some liposuction invloved arounf the flanks and hips to really shape the visible silhoutte. Given all this surgery and the general anesthesia we take extra preacaution to ensure your number one asset...yoiur health. As an adjunct I always give herbal supplements to help reduce the swelling and bruising. The treatment plans are as varied as the individuals.  Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon. After you meet him/her you will immediately know if they are the right surgeon to help you accomplish your goals.  Good luck on your procedure!!

If Your Blood Pressure is Adequately Treated & You're in Good Health Otherwise, There's No Reason Why You Can't Have Surgery

+1

Patients who have a history of elevated blood pressure are commonly seen in cosmetic surgery practices. If your blood pressure is adequately treated and you’re in good health otherwise, there’s no reason not to have a mommy makeover. When a history of hypertension is present, we prefer that patients be cleared by their primary care physicians before we proceed with surgery. In some cases, your internist may order an EKG or lab work.

With regard to your employment, we recommend gradual resumption of light activities starting at about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities can be resumed after six weeks. As a prison guard, you might be able to return to light restricted duty at two weeks’ but the return to full strenuous activity might require six weeks.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Candidacy for mommy makeover

+1

Your plastic surgeon needs to examine you and review your medical and physical history in order to find out whether you are going to be a good candidate for mommy makeover.  First and the foremost, your safety should be the number one concern.  If you have a well-controlled hypertension, not on steroids, not a smoker, and in generally good health, you should be okay with mommy makeover.  Similar to any elective surgery, all precautions should be taken to prevent peri-operative risks such as DVT.  Whether you will have a good result from surgery can be answered by your plastic surgeon who would have examined you.  In regard to returning back to work, it will depend on your pain threshold, complexity of your surgery, and physical activity involved at your work place.  Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Mommy makeover candidate?

+1

If your hbp is controlled you should get clearance from your primary care physician before you proceed with the procedure. I recommend patients to take 2 full weeks off of work post mommy makeover. If your job requires heavy lifting or strenuous activity, I would recommend 6 weeks off of work for best results. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com

Hbp and Mommy Makeover

+1

If your general health is good and your blood pressure is under good control then combined abdominal and breast surgery is certainly possible. Without a though exam and evaluation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, it is hard to say anymore. Your height and weight would be a consideration. Do you smoke? It is for your surgeon to decide if he is comfortable proceeding. As to returning to work it could be as little as two weeks and up to four.

High Blood Pressure in Relation to Anesthesia

+1

Many factors are considered in preparing a patient for Mommy Makeover surgery. High blood pressure does not rule you out as a candidate, but it must absolutely be adequately controlled. You will need a medical clearance from your treating physician before you can safely be considered for anesthesia. Most patients can return to work approximately two to four weeks after surgery. If your job involves a great deal of standing, then you may require a longer delay before returning to work. Standing without being able to put your feet up will increase the swelling in the lower abdomen and make your work difficult at the two-week mark. Ideally if you need to return to work at two weeks, you can arrange a change of duties to some deskwork, which would let you, put your feet up. Mommy Makeover Surgery is worth the investment in healing, but I find for busy mothers and working mothers that it does require some postoperative planning.

Mommy Makeover procedures and Hypertension

+1

High blood pressure is a common issue we see in patients.  I would recommend you visit with your family doc or internist to make sure that your blood pressure is well controlled.   Once you have obtained medicine clearance for surgery, you should be fine to proceed with surgery.  As per recovery, it all depends on what procedures you require.  Generally, most mommy makeover require some form of tummy tuck procedure.  I would say you should avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks from your date of surgery.  But you should be able to get back to  a desk job in 10-14 days.  But again, these answers all vary depending on your health status and the exact procedures you will need.

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:  Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Mommy makeover

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what type of surgery would be best for you. In general, I instruct patients after surgery to avoid heavy lifting  for about 6-8 weeks.

High blood pressure and mommy makeover

+1

If your blood pressure is under good control with your medications, and you have NO other health issues, your risk of anesthesia is only slightly higher than a healthy person.  You should be able to proceed with your surgery successfully.  In our practice, we would also get a medical clearance, EKG and labwork on you.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.