5'2", 120lb, 38C - Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction?

I am 19 yrs old,5'2 and I weigh just under 120 pounds (very small frame).my bra size is 38C and my breast are very saggy with stretch marks.I have always had back and neck pains which are reasons for my bad posture.I cannot sit up or stand for lond periods of time without something supporting my back.I used to be athletic but now the pain my breasts while doing things prevents me. My bra leaves bruises which also hurts.

Based upon your photos, symptoms and bra size I do believe that you are a candidate for breast reduction surgery. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for more information specific to your individual case.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

You do have an indication for breast reduction. If you have health insurance, your carrier may cover the procedure. With proper documentation showing you have tried conservative treatment, either through the aid of a physical therapist or chiropractor, you can present a good case of medical necessity. Best of Luck to you!

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

BR candidate

Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty patients are among the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients. Large breasts (macromastia) can often decrease quality of life for a woman. With breast reduction, you can have smaller breasts that sit higher on your chest wall. You will also find relief in your neck and back with the decrease in weight and more ergonomic position of your breasts.
There are several different variations of breast reduction, differing by size, and amount of incisions; procedure; and the results. The different types of reduction techniques include: The wise pattern breast lift, the anchor shaped incision, and the donut mastopexy.
1. The wise pattern breast lift involves an anchor-shaped incision around the natural contour of the breast. To most patients surprise, this scar is mostly hidden under the inferior aspect of the breast. However, the scar around the nipple/areola is visible. Most patients heal this anchor type scar very well and are satisfied with smaller areola in exchange for the scars. This surgery is used when there is a lot of excess skin that needs to be removed in order to lift the breast and give it a more aesthetic shape.
2. Often times, the anchor shaped incision can me diminished to create a lollipop or J shaped incision. This results in some excess skin at the inferior aspect of the breast near the breast crease that will flatten out over a 6 month period. Some patients are willing to tolerate this excess skin for 6 months in exchange for a smaller scar. This is a personal decision that each patient can make.
3. The donut mastopexy involves creating an incision around the areola and removing a doughnut-shaped area of skin. This surgery can be used for patients that need a smaller amount of lifting. This surgery results in a scrunched-up look to the breast skin surrounding the areola for about 6 months before it flattens out. Patients need to be understanding and tolerant of this in exchange for an areola-only scar. These patients do run the risk of areola widening as well.
Insurance may cover some of these cases when back pain, shoulder bra-notching, and rashes under the breast are present. Insurances vary though and your doctor can submit a report and photos to see if your insurance approves your procedure.
The ideal size depends on the size of your hips and waist. Your surgeon will be able to guide you in this decision.
The risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, bruising, poor scarring, pain, swelling, and changes to nipple and areola sensation, and rarely, partial or total nipple loss. The recovery time is usually a couple weeks if all goes well. In general, however, breast reduction patients are some of the most satisfied and grateful plastic surgery patients. This is truly a life-changing procedure. In my area, the cost ranges from 6700-8500. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast reduction possible

It sounds like you would definitely be a candidate for breast reduction. If you are relatively healthy and don't have a medical condition that would make surgery dangerous, then you may be able to get one and possibly have insurance coverage as well. Please see a plastic surgeon for a consultation to find out for sure.

Teenager candidate for a breast reduction

It would appear that you are a good candidate for a breast reduction.  If you have extremely large breasts you may be a candidate for a breast reduction even at an early age. I usually like to have a patients breast growth to be stable for one year prior to considering a breast lift. If there is significant hormonal stimulation the breasts can get bigger after a breast reduction. Best to consult a plastic surgeon with your parents along for the consultation.

Breast Reduction Surgery is a Great Option for You

Your photos, bra size, and clinical history suggest the presence of significant symptomatic breast hypertrophy. In my experience, patients with this degree of breast enlargement derive tremendous benefit from breast reduction surgery.  In fact, many patients consider it a life changing experience. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be a helpful next step.

5'2", 120lb, 38C - Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction

Looking at your photographs I would say that you are indeed a good candidate for a breast reduction.  Your backbone appears to be adjusting for the extra weight of your breasts. I cannot see if you have grooving from your bra strap in your shoulders or rashes.  I would see a Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast Reduction often symptoms

You appear to be a good candidate for breast reduction and also to create some better symmetry of your breasts. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Reduction for Teenager

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Criteria for Breast Reduction

If you are asking if you are a candidate based on your size and symptoms, then yes you are. If you are asking if you are a candidate that would qualify for insurance coverage, you may or may not be. You need to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate you and submit to your insurance for pre authorization. Each insurance company has its own criteria for qualification, and it would depend on what type of policy you have. Your plastic surgeons office should be able to help you get approval.

Miguel Delgado, MD