What is the Best Laser Treatment for Saggy Jowls?

How does it compare to Thermage?

For minimal results, minimally invasive treatments

+3

The Thermage and Cutera Titan lasers have been advertised as being alternatives to a traditional facelift for tightening of the face. Somehow collagen is miraculously made which tightens the skin, rendering it tight, with a minimally invasive no downtime treatment. This is not even close to what actually happens.

We have used radiofrequency treatments and IPL machines in our practice. They give minimal benefits, virtually not observable on before-after pictures taken at 3 months. If the pictures are taken days later, you often see a minor difference, presumably because of the swelling caused by the treatments. They do nothing for significant jowling.

On our website we have pictures of patients who have undergone CO2 laser resurfacing. CO2 laser is the most effective tightening procedure available by far. In patients who who have jowls, even CO2 alone does very little for the jowls. In order to reduce jowls to a minimum, patients should consider a well done facelift.

Many patients were happy with their IPL and radiofrequency treatments, but only because we told them the tightening benefit would be minimal; sun damage could be reduced, but not to expect significant tightening, and they were OK with that. On this website, the satisfaction rate with Titan is 36%, and Thermage is 37%, hardly stellar. The satisfaction rate for a facelift is 82%, despite the much greater cost. Had we promised a $2000 alternative to a facelift to our patients, and had the patients been expecting to have facelift results from a minimally invasive treatment, they would have been very disappointed as well.

Laser Liposcultpure for the jowls and neck

+2

I have had excellent results for laser skin tightening for the jowl, jawline and neck using SmartLipo, SlimLipo and ProLipo.  This is an exception area to see more skin tightening than in other regions, especially if there is an accumulation of at in these regions.  I have also done skin tightening using these lasers when there was minimal fatty accumulation and the results have been just as good.  However, you must seek out a surgeon with a lot of experience, since if the skin is too lax, a surgical procedure would be most beneficial and you can waste your money expecting too much from the laser.  But for mild to moderate sagging it is a good non-surgical (i.e. minimally invasive) procedure.       I do not do Thermage or any external laser treatments any more since the results are temporary and disappointing for the costs.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

The best treatment for saggy jowls is not a laser treatment

+1

The best treatment for saggy jowls is not a laser treatment. I would probably recommend Ultherapy if you are not interested in face lift surgery. Face lift surgery will tighten the tissues around the jowls by lifting them. Ultherapy is a non-invasive way to lift tissues which will reduce the appearance of jowls. Ultherapy is a newer technology which works deeper than Thermage. It is preferable because the results actually work more like a surgical facelift.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Titan

+1

The best Laser Treatment for jowls is Titan (Cutera; Brisbane, CA). Thermage uses different, non-laser technology and many believe it to be much less efficacious and/or, all too often, does not work at all. Titan specifically targets Collagen and stimulates new Collagen formation, thus rejuvnating and tightening skin. It does not hurt and does not interrupt your lifestyle. Combining Titan with other lasers (the so-called 3D treatment) greatly enhances the results.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Thermage is the Best Treatment for Saggy Jowls

+1

Thermage works on everyone.  Thermage works by heating the skin, and is not a laser as are other devices.  I use Thermage on arms, legs, stomach, but it works particularly well on the lower face and jowls.  There is no pain with the new CPT Thermage and no pre-treatment or down time. It generally takes 90 minutes and within 2 to 4 months your body starts producing collagen and rejuvenates the skin.

Michele S. Green, MD