What Are These Hard Lumps Post-Liposuction?

I am 1 week post-op from upper arm Liposuction. Up until today, my arms have been soft like jello and felt bruised. Today, I was rubbing my arms and it feels all lumpy under the skin. Whats going on? It still hurts to touch, but what are those lumps? Are these normal, or there's something wrong? Should I call my plastic surgeon?

It most likely are just normal fluid collections which will resolve with time and massage.

+4

Lumps and bumps are usually normal fluid collections after liposuction. They tend to last about 4-6 weeks. The initial swelling after the procedure conseals these pockets of fluid but as you massage and exercise then the generalized swelling fluid resolves and these individual pockets become more apparent until you massage them away also. Endermologie is a great way to help them resolve faster. I have my patients spend 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening massaging the areas. I start them exercising and massaging after 1 week. This helps the swelling go down faster but it still takes at least 4-6 months to get to the end result. Don't worry. It sounds totally normal but always see your surgeon to help reassure you that that is all that is going on.

Sincerely,

David Hansen, MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Hard Lumps at One Week Will Resolve with Massage

+3

Hard lumps are common early after Liposuction. They are caused by swelling in injured areas of fat. Usually firm massage will resolve them.

Hard Liposuction lumps that last more than3 months may be areas of fat necrosis and if the persist may need to be removed if they are painful or disfiguring

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Massage will correct lumps after liposuction.

+2

Hi.

Most likely you are feeling small collections of fluid  after liposuction which respond to lynphatic drainage massage.  Start this as soon as possible.  Of course see your surgeon.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lumpiness from liposuction

+2

Limps after liposuction can be several things. It can be areas that were under treated. It can be areas of swelling or induration of treated tissues. It can also be seromas. Usually the areas of swelling resolve on their own. Sometimes the seromas need to be aspirated, and sometimes the underresected areas need to be treated again.

Lumps after lipo

+2

There are several possibilities at the one week point after upper arm liposuction. The first possibility is those lumps and bumps are hematomas (collections of bleeding) that are new or that weren't detectable initially secondary to swelling. The other possibility is small areas of fat "necrosis" (or dead fat). If these areas are small they should resolve with time. Sometimes massage is thought to help. As always - whenever you have an unexpected turn in your post-op recovery you should absolutely speak with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Lumpiness after liposuction

+1
It is very normal early after liposuction to have lumpiness which make take time to resolve, especially on the arms.  Typically the patients should wait a month before messaging the area.  After that it may take up to 6 months before the lumpiness resolves.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hard lumps post-liposuction

+1
   The lumps that you feel at one week after liposuction are normal.  These swellings represent retained fluid, injured fat and post-op inflammation.  The areas generally smooth out after several weeks to a few months.  If these areas persist beyond 3-4 months, then the bumps may represent areas of fat death and scarring (called fat necrosis).  These lumps can improve with time.  If not they may need to be removed, but be patient and give the liposuction areas plenty of time (months) to heal.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Lumps After Lipo

+1
Thank you for your question about lumps on your arms after liposuction. You are 1 week after your procedure and it's normal for you to have some areas of hard swelling, which can be due to fluid collection or irregularities in the fat under the skin. Your board certified plastic surgeon can order you a compression garment which should improve both the pain and the appearance. If they persist at 6-9 months post-op, you can have these areas revised, however, they are likely to resolve on their own with the normal healing process. Best Wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lumps n bumps

+1

They are normal do not worry,post liposuction some edema is inevitable it will resolve in about 3weeks time.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

These lumps are likely pockets of inflammation

+1
Agree with most responses that is normal in certain areas such as the arms or abdomen to have dense pockets or nodules of inflammation for several weeks that should resolve with massage.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon