Will the Compression Garment Destroy my Newly Transplanted Graft to my Hips?

I'm going to have a BBL with Outer hips (I need a serious hourglass). Just wondering if the compression garment is going to apply too much pressure to the newly grafted fat cells and cause necrosis? I expect a percentage of reabsorption, but I'm now wondering should I cut a large hole on either side of the garment to expose the hips?

Specific Garments for Gluteal Sculpting (Brazilian Butt Lift)

Compression garments can place pressure on grafts.  There are some garments that are especially made for gluteal sculpting that do not place pressure on the grafts.  Your PS will decide the appropriate garment for you.

Dr. ES

Hip Compression after Brazilian Buttlift

In general, you are right in the sense that there is probably a compromise between compression to prevent fluid collections and this adversely affecting fat graft take.  There are modifications to the garment that can be made. In addition, there are compression garments that rest higher on the hips but still compress your abdomen, flanks, and back.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

BBL Garment Compression

Great question! Very common question in the office.

For BBL fat grafts, no pressure should be placed over the grafts. If there is compression over the buttocks, lateral hips, lateral thighs, or any other area that has received fat injection, ask your surgeon to modify your garment.  From hand and finger compression injuries in practice and current literature, fat grafts will die in about 4-6 hours in the body with no oxygen supply due to compression.  So, if time is an issue, consider cutting the area out of the garment if you are comfortable with your garment modification and your surgeon is not available.

Experience with facial and BBL fat grafts in practice and current literature supports the thought that the low oxygen state of the fat grafts send signals to stem cells for new cell growth and new blood vessel growth into the low oxygen area. Anything that would decrease oxygen supply to the area would delay growth and cause more reabsorption on the fat grafts.

A few of the research supported factors that would delay oxygen supply to the grafts include:
Decrease blood circulation due to blood pressure changes:
  • body weight compression ( Sitting and lying) with pressure greater than systolic blood pressure (main cause of nursing home bed soars)
  • decreased blood supply form generalized hypotension
Vasoconstrictive agents which decrease the rate of oxygen flowing to the fat grafts:
  • nicotine ( one inhalation of puff of a cigarette will constrict vessels for 16 hours)
  • caffeine (watch your tea, 5 hour energy, decaf, chocolate)
Reduced angiogenesis:
  • A diet rich in green vegetables has been proven to reduce the ability for new blood vessel branches to grow into the low oxygen area

I hope this helps with your question. Wish you well with your procedure, and a quick recovery!!
Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr McAdoo

Compression garment.

After surgery your Plastic surgeon will assign the right garment size for you, all surgeons manage different compression garment styles. He/She will assign the one that is more appropriate for your case and your fat graft.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon