How Long Should I Wait to Lose Weight After A Fat Transfer? How Much Should I Lose?

I had a fat transfer done about 3 weeks ago. The doctor harvested the fat from my abdomen and graphed it onto my face. I am very happy with the results. I chose to have the fat transfer done before I lost the weight because I was so embarrassed of my face. However, my primary doctor wants me to loose 40 pounds. My questions are: 1. How long should I wait before I start a weight-loss program? 2. How much weight can I loose before it affects my fat transfer? Thank you in advance

Fat transfer and weight loss

+2

That is a difficult one. Personally fat grafting is a great advance but nothing feels as good as being thin. Hopefully the fat will be lost proportionately and wont matter.That means your fat and the grafted fat both decrease leaving an excellent proportion between the two.. If you can loose this weight go for it

Will Weight Loss or Gain Affect Fat Transfer

+2

I don't think it makes much difference how soon you decide to loose weight but would wait at least 3 weeks to recover from your surgery.As you loose weight, your fat transfer will theoretically also shrink proportionately in volume. There is not set answer about the  amount of weight lost before you will notice as this is a continuous relationship.

This is a hard question to answer as the order in which you choose to follow does not follow my usual recommendations to my patients. The transferred fat behaves as it would from your donor site. Therefore you will lose volume in your face as you lose weight. If you had waited until you had a stable weight then it the fat that was transferred and lived would keep that volume (or increase if you gained weight)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS