Can Fat Transfer Be Used to Create Sculpted, High Cheekbones?

I have a round face, and it is noticeably asymmetrical. I've heard that fat transfer can be used to fix asymmetry, and I would rather have a fat transfer done because it is less invasive than an implant. But I'm also interested in having a more sculpted heart shaped face, can fat grafting be used to create high cheekbones?

Fat Transfer For Cheek Augmentation

+1

You are correct. Fat transfer I believe is a great way to help correct asymmetry of facial soft tissue deficiencies as well as to augment the cheek bone area giving the illusion of high cheek bones. It is a great technique with long lasting results which can be added to when there is continued loss of native fat in this area as part of the aging process. Of interest the transfer fat that survives tends to stay better than the native fat as it retains the nature of the donor site rather than the recipient site. Since the advent of fat transfer the number of implants I use and recommend has decreased significantly as this is such a good technique. 

Fat grafting for" cheekbones"

+1

Yes, fat grafting is one option.

Alternatively, you could use "off-the-shelf" fillers - like Sculptra or Radiesse.  They are both quite long-lasting, and woundn't have the downtime of a liposuction / fat transfer procedure, and are a bit more predictable in terms of symmetry and outcome.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Fat Transfer for High Cheekbones

+1

Fat grafting is an excellent way to sculpt cheekbones. The beauty of fat is that it's yours and can be put exactly where you want it. Furthermore, fat can be banked for future use so that patients don't have to have surgery over and over. While fresh fat is always ideal, some patients don't want to have to go under or have liposuction time and time again.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Using fat grafting to create high cheekbones

+1

Fat grafting can be used to create higher cheekbones. Customized placement can lead to a more heart shaped appearance like you describe.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Sculpted High Cheek Bones With Fat Transfer!

+1

Fat grafting can absolutely be used to resculpt and shape the face.  It is my preferred technique for these goals and the correction of early facial aging.  All facial implants have a complication profile that is too high in comparison in my opinion and never produce as beautiful a result.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Juvederm or Radiesse better option for high cheekbones.

+1

Hi.

1)  Fat transfer works very well when skilfully done, but it is surgery.  One advantage depending on your exact anatomy is that microliposuction of the lower face can be done at the same time.

2)  Fillers require no anesthesia and no recovery period (except a little bruising), and the results last at least two years.

3)  Avoid cheekbone implants.  A lot of problems and not best look.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sculpting with Fat Transfer

+1

Fat is certainly a pleasing, long-lasting material. The changes that can be made with fat transfer are dependent on what you want done, and what should be done. A full evaluation with someone who is skilled in this technique is absolutely mandatory.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Fat transfer to create high cheekbones

+1

In my practice, using fat transfer to create high, youthful cheekbones is my preferred use of fat transfer for facial applications.  As we age our malar pad or prominent cheek descends and filling this area with your own tissue provides excellent results.

Michael A. Fallucco, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not reliably IMHO.  I think you're far better off having Cheek Implants or a reliable off-the-shelf filler, like Perlane, for the Cheek Augmentation.  Fat can dissolve over time and aesthetically the shape, of the Cheeks are precise and specific if you understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Creation of high cheek bones.

+1

Creation of high cheek bones can be done with fat but  is better done with silicone implants. These are permanent and do not have to be repeated and are symmetrical. I use fat when the patient has good cheekbones but needs a small amount of definition.