5 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck Seroma is Getting Hard?

I developed a seroma on the upper part of my abdomen about 3 weeks ago and it no longer has the water wave effect when I tap it, its starting to feel pretty firm. Please help me understand whats going on, is this normal when it absorbs? I have a personal ultrasonic massager is this good for scar tissue? Thanks

Tummy tuck

+3

In order to give an adequate response you need to be examined. Having a seroma after surgery specially a tummy tuck is somewhat normal. It does need to be aspirated out with a needle. Our body will absorb it with time. You need to talk to your surgeon, so he/she can advise you on what options you have to get rid of the hardness.

Treatment of seroma after tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for your recent question.  It is not uncommon to have a seroma form after a tummy tuck, or any surgery, for that matter.  The usual treatment is to remove the fluid with an indwelling drain to be kept in place until the amount of drainage is less than 25cc. per day through the drain.  Once the amount of drainage  has diminished to this amount, the drain can safely be removed.  Any further accumulated fluid will need to be aspirated with a needle through the skin.  With decreasing volumes of aspirated fluid no intervention will need to be performed, and the small amount of remaining fluid will easily be absorbed by the body.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD