5 Weeks Post-op Tummy Tuck and I Feel Pouchy Again - Swelling or Stretched Muscles?

I'm Almost 5 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck and I Feel Pouchy Again...How Can I Tell That Its Swelling or my Stomach Muscles Pouching? When I use to hold my stomach in I use to tighten my muscles and I can do that now which pulls me in a little bit. Does that mean that my stomach muscles have stretched back out?

Lower abdominal pouch and fullness 5 weeks following tummy tuck

+1

This is difficult to determine without an examination or physical examination or photo. It is unlikely that your muscles have loosened at 5 weeks and more likely that you are experiencing edema (swelling) or possibe seroma as the cause of your lower abdominal swelling. Improper wear of a garment can also contribute to this appearance

Tummy Tuck Operation

+1

At 5 weeks many tummy tuck clients have started back with normal normal routines and too much activity can cause the fluid in the tummy stay around longer.  It is normal to still have some fluid in this area until the muscle and fat attach again.  Maintaining use of the tummy girdle can help with this situation as well as slowing some of your activity level until it goes away.  Most often at the 6-8 week period my patients are better with the operation and very few still have fluid in this area.  I recommend you follow-up with your surgeon at the 6-8 week time period if you are not any better.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Post op tummy tuck and swelling

+1

5 weeks postop from a tummy tuck is still early.  You still have swelling.  How much only time will tell.  You certainly would not do anything invasive at this point in time.  Continued use of a girdle, massage will help.  At 6 weeks I like to slowly reintroduce exercise as tolerated.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon