Is It Normal to Get a Seroma 2 1/2 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I had a tummy tuck/lipo on Oct 1. Drain was out 11 days postop when there was still drainage of about 30-40/day. Last Thursday, my pubic area was hurting and incision was swollen above. There was a wavelike motion when i would touch the stomach. I called the PS and he put in a seroma cath on Friday. Within 6 minutes, there was yellow-clear drainage of 200 ml. Within the rest of the day another 100. it has consistently been about 75-100 a day.normal? Why is there so much drainage now? advice please.

Seroma After Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes what you are experiencing can happen even 2 weeks after surgery. Repeated aspirations are usually necessary and sufficient to treat the seroma. Continue as you're doing with close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Seromas

+1

Seromas can happen with any procedure that leaves a "dead space."  It may take a few days to a week for it to get better.

Seromas

+1

Sounds like your surgeon is doing the right things.  Either repeated aspiration or placement of a seroma-cath is the correct treatment.  A higher level of production of fluid can occur with over-activity, lack of external compression, or sometimes, infection.

It should taper off with time...but they sure can be frustrating for everybody.

Preventing a recurrent seroma (fluid collection) after tummy tuck

+1

In my experience, this can be caused by increased activity or aggravated by certain types of garment which are tight around the waist and act like a tourniquet on the lower abdomen. With the seromacath in place, do not exercise and wear a garment that provides uniform compression over your entire abdomen i.e, spanx or body suit that covers your entire torso

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Seroma and Tummy Tuck

+1
Patient are different from one to another therefore some patient produce more fluid than others. This area is rich in lymphatics which produces the fluid. Equally important if there is a large amount of fat in the area there tends to be more fluid produced. I usually recommend removal of the drains when the production is less than 25 ml/day. Dr. ES

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.