I Am 4 Weeks Post-op. Can I Remove my Compression Binder for a Party for a Few Hours?

Feeling great 4 weeks after Tummy Tuck surgery. I've worn my compression (velcro) binder 24/7 except for showers and the occasional "oh my God I need to get this off for 5 minutes". Can I leave it off for a few hours to attend a party this weekend? Can't seem to get any of my clothes to close over the binder & I would feel great to wear normal clothes. Thank you!

Support Garments after Abdominoplasty

+4

In my own practice I let my patients switch to Panty Girdles one week after Tummy Tuck.  However all surgeons have their own preferences. If your surgeon wants to wear garment for a longer time, you should listen to him.  He may have perfectly valid reasons of his own. Always follow your surgeon's advice. 

Compression binder after abdominalplasty

+3

Personally, I prefer that my patients receive their post surgical instructions from me and not from a doctor on the Internet who you don't know. So call up your doctor and follow their directions. My recommendation to my patients depends on the amount of swelling at that particular time and whether they have had any problems such as fluid accumulation under the skin. These could be reasons to wear a binder for a longer period of time. In general all my tummy tuck patients wear a binder for approximately six weeks following surgery to minmize swelling.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Yes

+2

You can certainly take off your binder for short periods of time.  Just don't do something foolish at your event, nothing that would stretch your repair.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Taking off your binder

+2

In my practice, I usually recommend some sort of compression garment for the first 6 weeks post op tummy tuck surgery.  Removing it for a short period of time will not result in any permanent injury.  You should expect some swelling to result.  Every surgeon has different routines, you should check with your Plastic Surgeon.

Wear a Binder after Tummy Tuck

+2

I recommend my patients use the Abdominal binder 24/7 for the first four weeks.  After that, they are allowed to use it only when they do strenuous activity such as working out, or jogging, etc.  Surgeons are going to vary on their recommendations for the use of a binder, but in any case, you seem to have stuck to it for four solid weeks and you could certainly take it off for a few hours to attend a party. Have fun, Erez Sternberg, MD.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Can I leave off compression binder after tummy tuck/

+2

If you were my patient, I would tell you that you could...I suggest wearing it except for showering for a few weeks, then leave it up to the patient, though I tell them that continued compression could be helpful even for a few more weeks.  In my opinion, leaving it off for a few hours would not hurt, though you might notice a little more puffiness.  However, as in all things, you should ask your surgeon.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Compression Binder After Tummy Tuck

+2

I too have my tummy tuck patients wear an abdominal binder for a few weeks following their surgery.  It is probably OK to leave your binder off for a few hours at this point in your recovery, but this is a question which should be asked of your surgeon who best knows your present condition and situation.

John Whitt, MD

+2

Dear MariaB,

I would ask your surgeon. Chances are you will be alright, so long as you don't carry anything weighing more than five pounds, bend over at the waist, or do anything strenuous that activates your core/abdominal muscles. The main reason for wearing the binder at this point is to provide support to your abdominal muscles that were tightened during surgery and are still healing.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Taking off your compression garment after a tummy tuck

+1
It may be okay to take off your compression garment for a few hours however it could hinder your recovery. You may experience a lot of swelling after a while. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Compression Garments After Abdominoplasty

+1

In general, I request that my patients wear a compression garment for 2 weeks day and night and then 2 weeks at night. Thereafter, it’s for comfort and most patients do wear it for comfort for weeks.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD