Tummy Tuck Scar (Revised)

My last question: 13 days PO, I'm a little concerned about the puckered/lifting scar.I knew the stretch marks would remain, never thought about them being sewn together. How can I expect this scar to heal & look in the future? Therapy's? Previous answers raised concerns w/the placement & appearance of my scar. It was suggested that a before pic would be helpful.I Lost 105lbs I am 5'2"145lb & choose to have surgery before goal weight cause I can maintain this weight. All answers are appreciated!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Tummy Tuck Scar.......

+2

Hi Sarah
It's way too early to tell what your scar is going to look like when it is finished healing.  It takes about a year on average for the healing and scarring process to complete.  The best thing to do is to treat your scar as it is healing to help make the best scar possible.  There are many scar treatments out there. I find silicone sheeting to be the best.  

Web reference: http://www.DiscoverTheBeauty.com

Scar Revision of Tummy Tuck Scar

+2

At this stage, it is much too early to evaluate the final scar result.  As wound healing occurs, the appearance of the scar generally improves.  Scar revision surgery should be contemplated 9 months - 1 year post op surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/results.cfm?Category=65

Tummy tuck scar

+2

Skin after large weight loss often does not behave the same as regular skin.  You do have a significant change.  Most scars look their worst at 4 months and then better at 10+ months.  The key is to wait and not go back in early.  Most plastic surgeons will wait at least a year before any type of scar revision surgery.  Until then; keep on a diet with protein, and keep the scars out of UV light.  Some scar creams can help the process as well.  Continue to be in contact with your plastic surgeon, as they will make suggestions as well.  

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty

Tummy Tuck Scars

+2
Tummy tuck after massive weight loss is the most difficult scenario in which to get an ideal scar. If the closure is tight you are bound to get some scar widening and if it is not tight you will be disappointed in the amount of loose skin you have 6 months later. Having said that, the time to evaluate the result of your surgical scar is 13 months, not 13 days. Over time the redness of the scar will fade (but not fade away) and the folds or puckering of the skin will smooth itself out. Scar massage and topical treatments such as silicone gel sheeting may help but it will still take time, lots of time.

Tummy tuck scar

+2

Your tummy is significantly flatter.  I agree that the scar is not ideal.  I would expect it to improve quite a bit over the coming months.  If you are not satisfied with the result, a scar revision is much less involved than the tummy tuck you recently went through.  You can use silicone gel sheeting after the scars are sealed at about 3-4 weeks, massage the scar thickening starting at about 6 weeks when the incisions are well healed.  At 6 months to a year you can consider a scar revision if needed.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty-surgery.html

Scar appearance 13 days after surgery

+2

You obviously had a very significant improvement, even at less than two weeks after surgery.  I would expect that the scar will improve significantly, although there is no way to know just how much improvement you will get.

I suggest you work with your surgeon to try to get the best result possible.  The stretch marks sewn together will probably not be an issue once this is healed and the pink color has resolved.  I'm not a big fan of significant massage or other scar treatments until the incisions are completely healed, but ask your surgeon for their recommendation.

But, DON'T PANIC!  You should see significant improvement in the scars over the coming months.

Tommy tuck scar

+2

As I commented before , do not rush into a judgement at this time . Your scars are going to improve by time. After 6 month post another picture . I have no doubt  there would be room to revise & improve your scars.

Web reference: http://www.mahjouricosmeticsurgery.com/

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck result issues

+2

While I am not thrilled with the look of your result, all you can do now is to massage the scars and give them time to heal and settle.  After 6-12 months you will know what you've got there.  Good luck!

Scars at 13 days question

+1

Way too early to  make any decisions. While your scar is a bit irregular you  just need to wait and see how things progress. A scar revision may be indicated in 10 to 12 months. Good Luck! and congratulations on the weight loss.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scars- Natural healing

+1

although your scars look irregular, they will smoothen out over the next few months as swelling subsides. You can help this along by massaging your scars and applying vitamin e.

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillslooks.com/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.