How Should I Look 2 Weeks After Lower Facelift / Neck Lift?

I had lower face and neck lift surgery 2 weeks ago. Everybody that I have spoken to who has had this surgery has had immediate results in the neck area. My neck still looks very strange and more saggy under the chin than before...is this normal? Also the edges of my face and one ear are completely numb...how long before my skin feels like it belongs to me again?

Expected result 2 weeks after face and neck lift

+3

2 weeks after a face and neck lift, it is common to have numbness around the incisions. Also, the incisions will still be slightly red and may be this way for a few months. There is likely to be some bruising and swelling that is resolving. The bruising should be more of a yellow/green color and no longer the deep purple that is seen a few days after surgery.  The skin of the neck and face should be tight - in fact, it is often more tight than it will be when you are fully healed because it is still swollen.   You are describing that your neck is still lax and full. It is possible that there is a fluid collection, or seroma. This does not sound like the typical result 2 weeks after surgery and I agree that you should see your surgeon to be evaluated.

Early Facelift Results

+2

In my experience of over 1000 facelifts:

Within the first 1-2 weeks following a lower facelift and neck contouring, you should see the following:

• Resolution of any swelling and bruising
  • Improved definition along the jawline
  • Improved contour definition and angle under the chin
  • Smooth skin without any irregular lumps/bumps
  • A fine pink line at the incision sites

Irregularities might stem from the following:

• Fluid collections
  • Infection
  • Suture failure
  • Poorly planned or executed procedure
  • Inadequate use of compression garments during the first several days
  • Inappropriate sleep position during the first week

Jeffrey D. Pollard, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks is far too early to judge results, just be patient

+1

Two weeks is way too early to judge the results of a neck lift and facelift.  Numbness is normal and irregularities are common. I would be patient and continue seeing you facial plastic surgeon regularly until the six month mark. At that time, you should have a better idea of the outcome.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Loose neck skin and numb ears 2 weeks after face and neck lift

+1

Numbness, of the skin and ear lobes are normal after a face and neck lift and slowly resolves over the subsequent 1-3 months.  However, at 2 weeks, the skin should not be loose under the chin and you might want to discuss this further with your surgeon for advice and recommendations.

2 Weeks after Your Facelift ...

+1
  • parts of your ear will be numb
  • skin of your neck and sides of the face can be numb
  • your neck skin should be tight
  • there may be some swelling
  • brusing may be mostly gone

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. A lot depends on the specific technique he used. Saggy skin under the chin will likely not improve but get worse over the next 3 months.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower face lift/neck lift and excess skin

+1

2 weeks post - op is still early.  However, one usually does not see extra, loose skin after a neck and face lift this early.  Remember that the excess skin has to be removed through incisions that begin in front of the ear and extend below and behind the ear into the scalp in order to remove the skin.  If one tries to minimize the incision lenght, inadequate skin will be removed.  Very few patients are good candidates for a lower face lift/neck lift for this reason.  Make sure you are seeing a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

St. Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Incomplete healing 2 weeks after a facelift

+1

Some of your symptoms - swelling under the chin and numbness around/of the ear 2 weeks after facelift, are perfectly normal at your stage and will resolve over 4-6 months. If you are truly more saggy/loose under the chin than before, this would be uncommon - you should seek a checkup with your surgeon to ensure there has been no fluid collection that needs to be addressed.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after a facelift

+1

While you may still have some swelling two weeks after a facelift I would not expect saggy skin or a greater contour defect than prior to surgery.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for a discussion.  The numbness is normal at this point.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift results

+1

Without an evaluation it is hard to say what is going on. AS for numbness, this is farily common and usually improves over a few months time.