Fluid Collecting After Neck Lift - Any Ideas?

I Had a Neck Lift 9 Weeks Ago and I Have Fluid Collecting Under my Neck. 7 days out I had fluid collecting on the right side of my neck. 2 weeks later I had surgery to correct overactive salivary gland. 3 weeks ago I had hepatitis from the antibiotics I was on for 6 weeks. Now, 9 weeks out, I have fluid collecting under my chin and down the front of my neck. This fluid is drawn out by syringe and is clear. I think my surgeon is baffled by complications this far out. I'm not sure he knows what to do next. What should I do and is this normal?

+2

Wow what a history of events! No way any internet expert doctor can advise you. SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Salivary gland leakage

+2

Based on the history you have provided, there are two possibilites- salivary gland injury or lymphatic injury. Amylase study will help to identify the cause. The treatment involves repeated aspiration, if the fluid volume does not reduce with time then you need further investigation to find out the source of leak.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Fluid collecting after neck lift

+2
It's impossible to know exactly what's going on without having a full understanding of the details of your surgery Nd complications. I agree your post op course is unusual. The only thing I might come up with as a possiblity - and your surgeon may have already thought of this -is a salivary leak. You said you had surgery on your salivary glands for excess fluid. I would test the fluid for amylase, a salivary enzyme to see if this is the cause if your problem.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Fluid collecting 9 weeks after face and neck lift

+1

What you describe is saliva accumulation from injury to the salivary glands and or their ducts that results in saliva being deposited within the tissues of the face and or neck.  IMHO, you should be evaluated by an ENT surgeon to determine the exact location of this salivary leak.  Hope this helps.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Fluid Collection 9 Weeks After Necklift

+1

Given, that you had already surgery for an "overactive" salivary gland, it is likely that the fluid represents leakage from one of your salivary glands. This can be verified by a simple laboratory test of the fluid your surgeon removes. In facelift surgery, the most likely gland is your parotid which sits in fron and below your ears. Botox injections, drainage and patience are possible treatment options. This is a very rare but well known complication that most experienced facelift surgeons have seen once or twice in their career. Have an open discussion with your surgeon about his plan and whether he feels comfortable treating you.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fluid collection after neck lift

+1

Persistent clear fluid collections after salivary gland removal would be concern for a salivary gland injury.  Alternatively, this could represent a seroma.  The former may be treated without surgery, the latter may require surgery this far out as the cavity may become epithelialized.  Make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Necklift complications

+1
Based on what information has been provided, the fluid should be tested for amylase to diagnose a salivary gland injury. If so, pressure dressings and scopolamine patches can be used. Finally bottom is a treatment option if this fails.
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift complication

+1

It sounds as though you have a salivary gland injury.   I would recommend that you discuss treatment options with your surgeon.  As long as you are producing saliva, this problem can continue.     The sooner it is identified and treated, the less longterm sequelae to deal with.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Fluid collection weeks after necklift is unusual

+1

Your problem is an unusual one; it deserves attention.

My first three thoughts are:

Submandibular salivary gland injury: diagnosed with amylase test, treated with Botox

Recurrent seroma: treated with free drainage +/- pressure

And, lastly (and least likely) some kind of zebra: chyle duct injury, retained foreign body.

If your primary surgeon is flummoxed, it may be time to seek the opinion of a seasoned facial plastic surgery specialist.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Salivary gland issue?

+1

If you had salivary gland surgeyr recently, it may very well be a salivary gland leak which may need to be addressed surgically. Speak with your surgeon.