Too Tight Neck Lift - Permanent? Revision?

I am interested in a neck lift but hear and read many people complaining after the surgery that they feel "strangled" and "extremely tight". I have heard some patients feel as though there is a rope around their throat and mobility of the head is limited due to a pulling sensation. This sounds very alarming and I wonder if this ever results in a permanent situation or if revision is warranted because it is too tight. What would the proper revision be?

Neck Discomfort after Neck Lift

+3

Is is not uncommon for patients to initially experience some discomfort or tightness in the neck following neck lift (platysmaplasty) or lower facelift surgery.  As the procedures function to tighten the lower face and neck, some initial tightness is normal.  These sensations are often accentuated due to swelling in the immediate postoperative period.  As time progresses, the tissues will soften and these abnormal sensations will subside.  Good Luck..... Dr. Corrado

Web reference: http://www.dranthonycorrado.com/procedures/rhytidectomy.php

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after Necklift

+3

Every patient will have a sense of tightness after a good necklift. It is a sign that the "neck muscles" (i.e. platysma muscle) was truly tightened. If there is no such feeling, chances are that improvements within the neck will be limited in extent and longevity.

It is the surgeon's responsibilty to explain this to a patient before surgery and reassure her/him that this is a normal part of a recovery. Although all my patients have this sensation, it improves gradually and it never required revision surgery.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tight Feeling After Neck Lift Surgery

+3

Dear Phoenix9239,

A tight feeling in the neck is normal after neck lift surgery and will gradually improve over time. During neck lift surgery the muscle and skin are tightened. In addition to this there is temporary swelling  associated with the surgery. As this swelling goes away so does the overly tight sensation. 

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift tightness

+3

I agree that a tight feeling is often present after surgery.  Most patients are comforted by the knowledge that this tight feeling will soon go away and they will have a fantastic result. 

Excessive tightness in the facelift itself is a greater problem, especially if the ears cant forward of pull down, obvious signs of surgery. 

It is generally better to place great deal of tension on the deeper layer and the correct, not too much, tension on the skin itself for a facelift.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/necklace-procedure.php

Tightness with a necklift should be temporary

+2

Necklift patients frequently feel a tightness under the chin due to the lift that has been acheived with the procedure. This is actually a good thing, since we are treating laxity, as long as the tension is placed in the deeper tissue (SMAS) and not the skin. This sensation of tightness subsides over the first few weeks and should not be permanent.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://campbellplastics.com

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck tightness after neck lift

+2

I have seen many of my patients over many years who have had neck lifts by many excellent plastic surgeons with excellent results and no major complaints about neck strangulation except for one patient who saw had a suture plication procedure during the lift in which a long stitch had been used as a sling to tighten the neck further. This was so constrictive that the surgeon had to finally reooperate and remove the stitch improving the symptoms immediately.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/

Tightness of the the neck after neck lift.

+2

In 35 years of doing face and neck lifts I have have never had a patient complain of neck tightness (which is normal) for more than a few weeks. None have ever needed revision for tightness. See an experienced face/neck lift surgeon and you won't have this problem.

Neck Tightness after Neck Lift

+2

A traditional neck lift does have some initial tightness but it always relaxes over time.  This has to do with what is known as 'creep' or the tendency of the skin to stretch when tension is applied to it.  What doesn't stretch are artificial products that have been used in the past.  Threads and strings have been used for "lunchtime lifts"  They are effective for giving the appearance of a tighter neck but patients feel like they have a noose around their neck.  This may be what these people had done.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness in the Neck after Neck or Facelift

+2

When the idea is to tighten and remove excess tissues, the tissues remaining are always tightened as much as possible in order to obtain as good a result as possible, especially long term. There is, therefore, always a feeling of tightness right after surgery. This always dissipates quickly, usually within a week. No revision is ever necessary. In fact, if the tissues are not pulled tightly, a revision to tighten them may later be desired. This also happens with other procedures. As an example, after a tummy tuck everyone needs to walk bent over because the abdominal skin is pulled so tight. They always stand straight in about a week. This prevents there being extra skin in a year, just like the tightness in the neck after a neck or facelift prevents loose skin later.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tightening the neck a facelift or necklift

+2

It is normal to have some tightness under the neck after a Facelift. This feeling does not seem to be of concern for most and resolves in a couple of weeks for most. In general more revisions are requested to enhance the tightness not to loosen it.  However it is possible to to do in most cases. Face lifts and necklifts can be customized as well.  Express your concerns to them and they will discuss this in greater detail after an examination.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon