As a Wearer of Invisalign over Age 60, What Problems Would One Have As I Age?

I know teeth shift with age. So, I am concerned with this. I do visit my dentist every six months, however, I'm looking at the long term. Suppose I have to have a tooth pulled or capped, will this affect my teeth? Also, when I get the night retainer, would any signs of change mean I would be able to go back to my orthodontist to get another retainer? I'm assuming that if that happened, the retainer wouldn't fit anymore.

New retainers for Invisalign

+1

Invisalign retainers have a limited life span anyway. They say 3-6 months although they may last longer. You can get a retainer made relatively inexpensively. We charge $125 for a thin retainer that should last at least 6 months, and $250 for a thicker kind that should last 3 or more years.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Should have no problem due to age.

+1

As long as you wear your retainers at nite you should have no problems at all. If you need to have a crown or cap dont then what your dentist can do is send the retainer along with your case to the lab and they will make the crown to fit your retainer . Then there is no reason to have to remake your retainers.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

To Wearer of Invisalign over the Age of 60

+1

You mentioned that you see your dentist on a regular basis every six months.  If you need to have dental work done ,such as an extraction or crown down the road, your dentist will watch the teeth for movement and make adjustments to your retainer or create a new retainer to fit the changes in your teeth.  As long as you see your dentist on a regular basis and wear your invisalign retainer as much as possible, your teeth will always look great!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign retention is the key

+1

Once Invisalign is complete, a retainer is created.  The more it is worn, the more the teeth will remain in place.  Night time usage counteracts the movement that happened during the day, which is usually fairly minor.

If dental work is done after the retainers are made, the retainers may need to be replaced.  Sometimes the retainer can be adjusted if the changes to the dentition are minor.

Web reference: http://www.bestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for Individuals 60 y/o and Older

+1

Since you visit your dentist every 6 months, I assume you and your dentist are keeping things really healthy.  If you are free from periodontal disease (gum disease, bone loss), and your teeth are healthy, then there is no reason not to do Invisalign.  In fact, if your teeth are crowded, Invisalign will actually help the health of your gums - making them easier to clean as you get older when your manual agility may decline.  If you use Invisalign retainers, you will get a new set every 4 months (to keep your teeth in the ideal position) - and you pay for them yearly (usually under $400 per year)...so if you get a new porcelain onlay or filling, you can have new impressions made so that a new retainer can be made under this program.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.