Why Can't I Wear Under-wired Bras After Breast Augmentation?

i'm 2 weeks post op, 270cc saline implants (behind the muscle) with incisions beneath crease of bust. i've tried on an under-wired push up bra and experienced no pain, is it safe to wear these bras now? or will it affect the shape of my breasts? cause indentations?

I use underwire bras as the surgical "dressing"!

+4

I've used underwire bras as part of the surgical dressing for over 20 years without any problems.  In other words, I purposely place the patient in an underwire immediately at the conclusion of the surgery- literally in the OR over the guaze dressing- and recommend this bra for 4 weeks. At that time the swelling has usually resolved and the patient can go bra shopping for the best fitting bras for her new shape.   In my opinion, the underwire helps define the inframammary crease and helps with the position of the implant.  The classical thinking of postponing their use has always puzzled me and I have never had an issue becaue of this.  To the contrary, rather than taping the skin or using a superior strap, the underwire handles these jobs very well.  

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Undrewire bra after surgery

+2

The type of bra worn after breast implant surgery depends on the the type of surgery performed

If the scar is in the breast fold or the implants are in a high position, an underwire may prevent the implants from naturally falling into a  lower position .The underwire may also irritate the scar

However with a circumareolar incision an underwire bra may certainly be worn

If the inplants are low, or a double bubble deformity has been corrected ,an underwire bra  in fact is often  advantageous

Web reference: http://www.beckermd.com/breast/augmentation-boca-raton-fl/

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bra with wire after augmentation

+2

I usually have patients avoid under wire bras especially if they had an inframammary incision for at least 6-8 weeks.  I would not want the wire rubbing on the incision and potentially causing problems.

Bras to wear after breast augmentation with implants

+1

The choice of bra style may depend upon the procedure performed and the goals to be accomplished by the procedure. In an A cup individual with large implants, garments that minimize the upward displacement of the implants, such as an underwire, are to be avoided. However, in other individuals who undergo correction of a bottoming out breast, the use of an underwire may be preferred. Therefore, it is best to discuss this with your surgeon

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Underwire bras after breast augmentation

+1

The obvious answer is to talk to your plastic surgeon and follow their postoperative routine. In my practice, any supportive cup bra is okay as long as it is worn routinely in the postoperative period (4-6 weeks). The bra is unlikely to leave any indentations or contour deformities in the breast.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and the Underwire Bra

+1

The reasons why I do not prefer an underwire bra in most cases is that it will push the implants higher in the pocket during the healing process.  This may produce a pocket that allows the implant permanently sit in a higher position.  There is the rare occasion where initially after surgery the implants sit lower than I like, then I will recommend that an underwire bra be used to help the implants sit a bit higher permanently.

Dr.ES

Underwire bra after Breast Augmentation

+1

I would definitely not use any type of push up bra at this point after surgery. Typically implants are high riding, and it takes a few months for them to drop, settle, and look natural after surgery. You wouldn't want to impede this normal process and end up with implants that look too high, or have a flat contour at the bottom. I do like underwire bras, however, that are not push up, and that are full coverage. I find they tend to stabilize the inferior and lateral perimeters of the breast pocket as the implants are dropping and experiencing gravitational effect. Make sure you protect your incision and I would ask your physician what they recommend.

Underwire bras and breast augmentation

+1

Each surgeon is different in this regard so ask yours.  But in my patients, I allow underwires after 2 weeks and insist on them if I feel the need to splint the IM crease for any reason.  But no push up component is allowed for 8 week.

Underwired Bras Can Be Worn a Few Weeks after Augmentation

+1

I allow my augmentation patients to wear underwear bras 6 weeks or so following surgery.  To do so sooner can place too much tension on the wound closure and create problems.  You should ask your plastic surgeon for his/her recommendation.

Wearing underwire bras after breast augmentation

+1

In general, I advise my patients that if you can wear an underwire without significant discomfort then it is generally safe. I instruct my patients that pain is the body's alarm system, the trick is to pay attention when it sounds. So given that, the rule of thumb is "if it hurts stop, if it doesn't then it's usually OK".

Many patients in the post operative period will have discomfort along the inframammary crease following breast augmentation surgery for up to 6-8 weeks. Actual length of discomfort depends on a few variables that occur during surgery. 

Lowering or release of the inframammary fold in conjunction with a larger implant, or the release of a large pectoralis muscle will increase pain and discomfort.

Placement of a smaller implant that does not require release of the fold, and/or smaller pectoralis muscles usually are associated with decreased pain and faster recovery following breast augmentation surgery.

Best regards,

KC

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon