Why Can't I Wear Under-wired Bras After Breast Augmentation?

i'm 2 weeks post op, 270cc saline implants (behind the muscle) with incisions beneath crease of bust. i've tried on an under-wired push up bra and experienced no pain, is it safe to wear these bras now? or will it affect the shape of my breasts? cause indentations?

I use underwire bras as the surgical "dressing"!

+4

I've used underwire bras as part of the surgical dressing for over 20 years without any problems.  In other words, I purposely place the patient in an underwire immediately at the conclusion of the surgery- literally in the OR over the guaze dressing- and recommend this bra for 4 weeks. At that time the swelling has usually resolved and the patient can go bra shopping for the best fitting bras for her new shape.   In my opinion, the underwire helps define the inframammary crease and helps with the position of the implant.  The classical thinking of postponing their use has always puzzled me and I have never had an issue becaue of this.  To the contrary, rather than taping the skin or using a superior strap, the underwire handles these jobs very well.  

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Undrewire bra after surgery

+2

The type of bra worn after breast implant surgery depends on the the type of surgery performed

If the scar is in the breast fold or the implants are in a high position, an underwire may prevent the implants from naturally falling into a  lower position .The underwire may also irritate the scar

However with a circumareolar incision an underwire bra may certainly be worn

If the inplants are low, or a double bubble deformity has been corrected ,an underwire bra  in fact is often  advantageous

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bra with wire after augmentation

+2

I usually have patients avoid under wire bras especially if they had an inframammary incision for at least 6-8 weeks.  I would not want the wire rubbing on the incision and potentially causing problems.

Not good for recovery

+1
It is typical that surgeons advise patients to not wear underwire bras for the first few weeks of surgery. Of course, it really depends on the surgeon, though, so you should probably ask yours for their advice. I normally recommend patients don't wear an underwire bra for the first couple months because they can delay your healing, especially if you have incisions in the inframammary crease. You don't want any friction on your incisions which could be caused by an underwire bra.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Follow Your Surgeon's Advice

+1
Underwire bras should be avoided for the first two months following surgery, but ask your surgeon to find out what their advice is because it may be different. Related complications include irritation caused by the wire rubbing against the skin (something that you may not notice due to possible numbness). Patients who have an infra-mammary incision, like you, should be especially careful as an underwire bra is capable of displacing the implants if it is worn too often or too soon.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bras after surgery

+1
You should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. All plastic surgeons will have a different routine for post operative care. Your plastic surgeon understands your surgery and your anatomy and is in the best position for making this decision.  Some plastic surgeons like underwire bras others want you to avoid their use.  

+1
Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery ( Some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patient's transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Bras to wear after breast augmentation with implants

+1

The choice of bra style may depend upon the procedure performed and the goals to be accomplished by the procedure. In an A cup individual with large implants, garments that minimize the upward displacement of the implants, such as an underwire, are to be avoided. However, in other individuals who undergo correction of a bottoming out breast, the use of an underwire may be preferred. Therefore, it is best to discuss this with your surgeon

Underwire bras after breast augmentation

+1

The obvious answer is to talk to your plastic surgeon and follow their postoperative routine. In my practice, any supportive cup bra is okay as long as it is worn routinely in the postoperative period (4-6 weeks). The bra is unlikely to leave any indentations or contour deformities in the breast.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and the Underwire Bra

+1

The reasons why I do not prefer an underwire bra in most cases is that it will push the implants higher in the pocket during the healing process.  This may produce a pocket that allows the implant permanently sit in a higher position.  There is the rare occasion where initially after surgery the implants sit lower than I like, then I will recommend that an underwire bra be used to help the implants sit a bit higher permanently.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS