Can You Wear a Two-piece Bathing Suit Two Months After a Tummy Tuck?

I recently had a full tummy tuck in June, I'm in my two week post op and things are looking ok, still have some swelling though, So I have this trip in August to the beach and I was wondering if I would be able to wear a two piece bathing suit.

Protect new scars from sun exposure

+1
The body works to naturally reduce scarring. Redness and a raised texture are normal during the three to six months following your tummy tuck, but both traits begin to subside during the healing process. In order to help this process for the best tummy tuck scar, patients are advised to protect their incisions from direct sunlight (especially in the first year after surgery) as this can cause unfavourable pigmentation changes. 

It can take several months for a patient to recover from a tummy tuck, and this depends on the extent of correction and the patient.

Here are some tips to help your scar become less noticeable:

1. In order to avoid pulling the scar (which will be well hidden, located in the lower bikini line and groin), you’ll be instructed to walk with your back bent slightly forward.

2. During the recovery period the support garment and dressings should be removed before showering while the white tape (steri-strips) covering the incision should be left in place.

3. Baths must not be taken until all drains have been removed, the sutures surrounding the belly button have been removed and the incisions have mostly healed. This typically takes two weeks.

4. When the steri-strips have begun to curl at their edges they can be safely removed. At this point you will no longer need to cover your incisions with dressings and can begin to administer scar reducing products like silicone gel and sheeting.

Although I have provided this advice, you should listen to what your surgeon says as they may have different advice.

Two piece and tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

You should be able to wear two piece bathing suit after two months.

+1

Majority of swelling will come down in 1-2 months.  It may take two to three months to get the final contour from tummy tuck (with/without liposuction).  You should be able to go on a vacation and wear a two-piece bathing suit.

Sugene Kim, MD

Tummy tuck healing

+1

Your swelling should continue to go down but you can wear a bathing suit at any time. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

You CAN wear a Bikini at the Beach after a Tummy Tuck IF...

+1
The reason why you and your surgeon worked so hard was so you COULD wear a two piece bathing suite after you healed from your Tummy Tuck surgery. However you must use common sense : - use a lot of sunblock - All fresh scars become red when exposed to ultra violet rays (sun or tanning booths) - you will not have normal tummy skin sensation and will burn before you know it. Do not count on sensation. Look at the skin frequently to make sure you do not burn. Enjoy your vacation! Dr P Aldea