Do You Need to Wear Eye Protection for Fraxel?

HI,i had my first fraxel and the doctor he didn't use eye protection around my eyes,cause he said that i didn't need protection for my fraxel: he used the laser around my eye area,but not on the eyelid,but i'm really scared if this can cause a damage! i don't know if i'm just being paranoid,cause i saw my left eye shaking a bit after! please tell me if i need to complain to the doctor and ASK and demand in the future, fraxel EYE PROTECTION!thanks you very much

Eye Protection for Fraxel Laser Treatment

+2

Thank you for your question. Eye protection is an important part of all laser treatments. Some lasers do not require goggles, and they can be lifted up when working closer to the eye area for some lasers. Fractionated Fraxel requires eye protection. Direct beam contact with the eye is the most severe risk. I would request for eye protection to be worn in the future for safest treatments.  I would also recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatments.  I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Eye Protection

+2

If the laser is used on the eyelids then absolutely, yes, eye protection shoud be used.  However, if you keep your eyes closed while treating other areas of the face you are fine.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser and Eye Protection

+2

Good question.  If the laser is only being used on areas around the eyes but not on the eyelids, it can be safely performed by an experienced physician.  There is no harm on asking for this protection, however, if it makes you uncomfortable.  Best wishes. 

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely Insist on Eye Protection for Any Laser Treatment

+1

One should always have eye protection during laser treatment-- whether it is Fraxel or other lasers.  While the risk of eye injury is low, why risk it?  In my office, I insist that every patient receive eye protection-- either in the form of goggles (for off face treatment), laser aid eyepads, or internal corneal eye shields.  I also insist that everyone else in the room has adequate eye protection.  Your eyesight is too important to risk it.

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyewear for Fraxel Treatments

+1

Hi Vegan.  While there are certain wavelengths of light that are less problematic to the eyes than others, we always cover our patients eyes during treatment.  In situations where we need to get closer to the eyelid, we use a tongue depressor to protect the eyes.

As long as your eyes were not open during the treatment, you should be fine, but if you are more comfortable with eyewear during treatment, you should request it. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Eye protection for the patient during Fraxel should be done

+1

Having said that, the Fraxel laser is not very dangerous to the eyes.  It has to do with it's wavelength.  It's attracted to water, so the most it would do is cause an injury to the conjunctiva or cornea.  It's not attracted to the retina or iris where the lasers that are attracted to pigment (KTP, Pulsed Dye, Diode, Alexandrite) can cause visual lose or blindness. So, the Fraxel is relatively safe to the eye.  If you would have been injured to the eye with the Fraxel, it would present as pain immediately, and you would have irritation, swelling, pink/redness of the eye.  If this didn't occur, you're good, but would use eye protection next time.

Steven F. Weiner, MD