Rubbing Alcohol or Acetone Before Fraxel?

Over 3 months ago I had a full face Fraxel Dual 1927 and have been left with distorted skin texture. The esthetician who performed the procedure dabbed my face with either acetone or rubbing alcohol prior to the procedure which I know is routinely done before chemical peels, but is that typical prior to laser resurfacing as well? I'm just trying to figure out what may have went wrong. Would the alcohol have contributed to my complication?

+1

Thank you for your question. Fraxel Dual has 1927/1550 wavelengths which works on pigmentation, lines, acne scars and stimulates collagen.  Laser resurfacing or Fraxel may require pre-treatment, especially for ethnic skin to prevent hyperpigmentation.  Acetone or rubbing alcohol before Fraxel procedure helps cleanse the skin better.  I would recommend being consulting and being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment  option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Using alcohol or acetone to cleanse the skin prior to laser treatment wil not cause harmful side effects

+1

The Fraxel 1927 nm laser reacts with water in the skin and has very limited depth of penetration. Using alcohol or acetone to cleanse the skin prior to treatment removes oils and bacteria but does not change the water content, so would not be a cause of an adverse reaction. I am not sure what you mean by "distorted skin texture" but it is hard to imagine this laser causing a problem with skin texture as it has limited penetration into the skin and doesn't heat the skin excessively. You should see a Dermatologist to find out what is going on with your skin

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Dual laser

+1

The rubbing alcohol or acetone prep before your Fraxel treatment did not cause the distorted skin texture.  You should return to the esthetician, who hopefully works in a dermatologist's or plastic surgeon's office, for assessment.

Toronto Dermatologist