Weak Jawline Solutions

Hello, my question regards to what I can do about a weak jawline. I am 22 years old and have been extremely self conscious about my profile for many years. I am so embarrassed when I see a photo of me taken of the side of my face... I always look awful. I am tired of feeling this way and want to know if there is anything I can do. Any research into this shows me solutions for more mature skin's sagging, which I am not sure is a suitable solution for me as my issue is not age related (or rather the skin losing elasticity over time), since I have never had a good jawline. I would like to try to avoid a chin implant if possible, as many that I have seen look very unnatural, but I would like to hear any and all options I have.

Is "pulling up" the skin between my jawbone and neck a solution/option? Also, I am not really looking for a subtle change, but I don't think an overly prominent chin is the answer either. I really want the sharp and elegant jawlines as seen on other women! Is there any way? Thank you so much for reading this, any and all help is greatly appreciated as I yearn for a solution that will bring me more confidence.

Jaw line improvement - Chin implant or other method

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but a chin implant is the way to go!  Injectables or skin lifts are not going to get you what you need.  A chin implant is a simple procedure and works wonders.  Please look into it first.  It is the solution for what you need.

465 N. Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

A weak jawline can be treated with a chin implant or facial fillers

The strength or weakness of a jawline can define the attractiveness of a face. The great news is the chin is one of the most treatable parts of the face.

The least invasive option is to use fillers along the jawline to strengthen your profile. Placing RADIESSE® can give results for 6-9 months. Multiple treatments of ArteFill® can give more permanent results. Using fillers is a great way to preview results and adjust the amount of augmentation you'd like.
I understand your concern about chin implants looking unnatural, but there are many surgeons who work to properly balance the face, not to over-enhance the chin. It is a very straightforward and minimally invasive procedure to place a chin implant, and implant size is customizable. I recommend an implant for a more severe facial proportion imbalance. With a very quick recovery, the proportions of your face can be greatly improved, and no more loose skin or embarrassing photos.

For information about non-surgical chin augmentations, visit the link below.

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

166 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Chin/Neck Options

From your profile, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a mentoplasty. A complete evaluation though would require looking at the front and side views as well. In your case, you may want to consider simple chin implantation or a more involved procedure of moving the bone of your lower jaw forward (particularly if you have a significant underbite). In either event, this would change your profile, alter your neck appearance, and change your front view as well.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

6545 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75024

Beautiful jawline for a woman

There are a number of anatomic elements that create a beautiful jawline in a woman.  A surgeon would palpate and study your lower jaw anatomy to determine the best surgical approach.  This could be augmenting the weak bone with appropriate style and size chin implant, may be adding mandibular angle implant, possibly doing microliposuctioon around the lower jaw/neck, or even adding some structural fat grafting.  Your best bet is to find 2-3 reputable surgeons that have lots of experience in this area and educating yourself this way.  Ultimately you need to find a surgeon whom you can trust to give you the result you desire.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Placement of an implant is usually the preferred method to augment a weak chin

Hi Kitty15

I understand that you would prefer to avoid a chin implant, but as you describe your goals I believe it is still the best solution to your condition. “Pulling up” the skin from a facelift or neck lift will not provide the degree of change you desire. Although the chin can be augmented without an implant I would not recommend this procedure in your case. This type of surgery would require advancing a part of your jawbone to give it more projection. Placement of a chin implant would provide a similar change and is a much easier procedure. For a thorough education and discussion I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this is of some help to you as you make your decisions. I believe your goals are realistic and can be achieved.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

95 Scripps Drive
Sacramento, CA 95825

Chin enhancement

Accentuating the jaw line can come in a variety of forms.  The biggest question involves if the teeth line up correctly.  If not than orthognathic surgery is the first step.  Assuming a normal dental relationship,  the main issue is the chin.  In a female the chin should come close to or line up with the lower lip in profile.  In men it should line up or be in front of the lower lip in profile.  If the chin is weak the nose looks to big. By augmenting the chin facial harmony can be restored and even the neck can look better.  Chin augmentation can be done with implants or using your own bone.  There are advantages to both ways and the solution is different for each person

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

530 South Cowley Street
Spokane, WA 99202

Several Options for a Stronger Chin

There are a several options that you can consider to get a stronger chin and more defined neckline.

From easiest to hardest (in terms of recovery and surgical complexity):

-Chin implant: tiny incision under your chin, very little discomfort, immediate result, slight (low) risk of implant complications

-Chin implant with facelift/necklift: you are too young for a facelift, but this can be a powerful combo to create a nice neckline.

-Osseous Genioplasty: this involves an incision in the mouth and cutting and re-plating (plates and screws like in orthopedics) the chin bone in a more forward location. Big effort. Reserved for patients who really don't want a chin implant (or in patients who are already having jaw surgery.

-Jaw surgery (mandibular osteotomy): this is done if you have a really bad overbite. If your teeth don't fit together right, placing a chin implant isn't going to help. If you have a bad underbite (malocclusion) you really need a jaw surgery, usually done by an oral surgeon on craniofacial plastic surgeon. Biggest recovery. Like wisdom teeth on steroids.

If it were me, I probably would advocate for the chin implant. There is a very safe and thoughtful approach to this that can be a good fix for you with little risk. Find a plastic surgeon with experience in this area to work through the decision making process with you.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD

220 E Central Pkwy
Orlando, FL 32701

Chin Implant

Hi there. A “strong” and well-defined jaw and chin have traditionally been attractive physical traits. As such, some patients present with concerns about a weak or recessed chin.
A more aesthetic chin may be achieved by placement of a chin implant. Interestingly, a balanced chin improves overall facial appearance and may actually influence nasal projection.For example, a weak chin may increase the severity of an overprojected nose.
Good overall medical health, as well as realistic expectations, are necessary. It is also key to understand all aspects of the surgery and aftercare. A pleasing, balanced profile can be achieved by inserting an implant to augment a weak chin, resulting in improved facial harmony.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

18838 Stone Oak Parkway
San Antonio, TX 78258

Weak jawline

Photos would be useful but I will try without them.  At your age to enhance your profile you would most likely need jaw surgery if you have a bad bite to correct a malocclusion or some sort of chin surgery if your bite is good.  For the malocclusion you would need braces and secondary jaw surgery to advance the jaw correcting the bite and improving the profile at the same time.  Not a quick fix.  If you have a good bite or want to camouflage a bad one you could either place a chin implant or do a sliding genioplasty.  Both of these improve the profile.  The genioplasty gives more options such a increasing facial height and correcting asymmetry along with chin advancement.  Find a board certified surgeon well versed in chin/mandible surgery for an evaluation.  Good luck.  Donald R Nunn MD DDS  ATLANTA Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Weak Jawline Solutions

You are not alone as many women lack a well defined jaw line. There are several options but without seeing in person there is no way to be sure which if any of these is an option. If you do not have an existing prominent jaw and chin bone, pulling the skin will not correct the issues you may have. Skin pulling known as a face/neck lift is for individuals who have excess skin obliterating their neck line but have a normal bone structure. As you described that is not an option for you. Otherwise you can look into Jaw surgery which tends to work on moving the mandible forward. It is a large surgery and will have an impact on your teeth. Finally you can give the illusion of a stronger jaw line by manipulating the chin. This can be done with either an implant or sliding the bone forward with Oral Surgery. I am a big fan of the chin implant as it is quick, easy and can lead to very natural results if done correctly. There are many different chin implant shapes and sizes that could be specifically sized for you, in ways that will leave you with a very natural looking chin. Hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD

9730 Wilshire BLVD
Beverly Hills, CA 90212