Weak Jawline Solutions

Hello, my question regards to what I can do about a weak jawline. I am 22 years old and have been extremely self conscious about my profile for many years. I am so embarrassed when I see a photo of me taken of the side of my face... I always look awful. I am tired of feeling this way and want to know if there is anything I can do. Any research into this shows me solutions for more mature skin's sagging, which I am not sure is a suitable solution for me as my issue is not age related (or rather the skin losing elasticity over time), since I have never had a good jawline. I would like to try to avoid a chin implant if possible, as many that I have seen look very unnatural, but I would like to hear any and all options I have.

Is "pulling up" the skin between my jawbone and neck a solution/option? Also, I am not really looking for a subtle change, but I don't think an overly prominent chin is the answer either. I really want the sharp and elegant jawlines as seen on other women! Is there any way? Thank you so much for reading this, any and all help is greatly appreciated as I yearn for a solution that will bring me more confidence.

A weak jawline can be treated with a chin implant or facial fillers

+5
The strength or weakness of a jawline can define the attractiveness of a face. The great news is the chin is one of the most treatable parts of the face.

The least invasive option is to use fillers along the jawline to strengthen your profile. Placing RADIESSE® can give results for 6-9 months. Multiple treatments of ArteFill® can give more permanent results. Using fillers is a great way to preview results and adjust the amount of augmentation you'd like.
I understand your concern about chin implants looking unnatural, but there are many surgeons who work to properly balance the face, not to over-enhance the chin. It is a very straightforward and minimally invasive procedure to place a chin implant, and implant size is customizable. I recommend an implant for a more severe facial proportion imbalance. With a very quick recovery, the proportions of your face can be greatly improved, and no more loose skin or embarrassing photos.

For information about non-surgical chin augmentations, visit the link below.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line improvement - Chin implant or other method

+3

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but a chin implant is the way to go!  Injectables or skin lifts are not going to get you what you need.  A chin implant is a simple procedure and works wonders.  Please look into it first.  It is the solution for what you need.

Jay Calvert, MD

Chin/Neck Options

+2

From your profile, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a mentoplasty. A complete evaluation though would require looking at the front and side views as well. In your case, you may want to consider simple chin implantation or a more involved procedure of moving the bone of your lower jaw forward (particularly if you have a significant underbite). In either event, this would change your profile, alter your neck appearance, and change your front view as well.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful jawline for a woman

+2

There are a number of anatomic elements that create a beautiful jawline in a woman.  A surgeon would palpate and study your lower jaw anatomy to determine the best surgical approach.  This could be augmenting the weak bone with appropriate style and size chin implant, may be adding mandibular angle implant, possibly doing microliposuctioon around the lower jaw/neck, or even adding some structural fat grafting.  Your best bet is to find 2-3 reputable surgeons that have lots of experience in this area and educating yourself this way.  Ultimately you need to find a surgeon whom you can trust to give you the result you desire.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Placement of an implant is usually the preferred method to augment a weak chin

+2

Hi Kitty15

I understand that you would prefer to avoid a chin implant, but as you describe your goals I believe it is still the best solution to your condition. “Pulling up” the skin from a facelift or neck lift will not provide the degree of change you desire. Although the chin can be augmented without an implant I would not recommend this procedure in your case. This type of surgery would require advancing a part of your jawbone to give it more projection. Placement of a chin implant would provide a similar change and is a much easier procedure. For a thorough education and discussion I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this is of some help to you as you make your decisions. I believe your goals are realistic and can be achieved.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

A chin implant sounds like your best option

+1
Chin implants can look 100% natural when done by the right plastic surgeon. I have done this procedure many times and my patients are always amazed by the natural appearance. You probably don't even realize that many around you have had this procedure done. If you are not looking for a subtle improvement, I would not recommend any type of facial fillers, as the volume of filler required for a large change would be very large and would only last temporarily. I would recommend a chin implant for a permanent and real improvement. I recommend you request a consultation with a plastic surgeon with experience in this field. 

David Rapaport, MD

Here's what you should do

+1
Kittsurfer, 

Your lengthy question covers almost all areas of the face and includes the possibility of many ways to handle your concerns. Without having very good pictures of your face and neck in many views (front, 2 profile views & 3/4 views) there is no good way that any of us realself consultants can really do a good job for you, personally as a opposed to just giving you a lot of general information that may not specifically apply to your case.

I strongly suggest and urge you to reenter your questions along with the photos to give us a chance to see what we are dealing with. 

Dr. Terino

Edward O. Terino, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for weak jawline solution

+1
 Chin implants are manufactured  in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. The chin implants are composed of Silastic, are placed through a submental incision under local anesthesia and the implant is placed directly over the bone. Patients state that it feels just like their own natural mandible. 

Different methods for increasing jaw line and chin defintion

+1
A well defined neck and jaw line is desirable for facial harmony and balance.  People with strong and well balanced jaw lines are often viewed as more successful and intelligent. 

There is however a fear for many patients that enhancing their chins will lead to an unnatural overdone appearance.  When the chin is enhanced to fit the other facial proportions, the results lead to natural facial harmony. 

Chin enhancement can be done surgically, most commonly via a chin implant.  Less commonly, this is done by jaw advancement surgery.  This is more complicated and comes with higher risks.  Increasingly, patients are asking for non surgical chin enhancement.  Various fillers from Radiesse to Juvederm Voluma and Sculptra injections can be used depending on the desired result, and duration of effect.

A weak chin is often accompanied by excess heaviness along the neck and jaw line.  Conservative liposuction, using Smart Lipo, can add to chin augmentation results by giving a more crisp neck and jaw line.

I find that 3D computer imaging using the Vectra system can help illustrate pre operatively what changes can be made

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak Jawline Solutions?

+1
The chin and jaw line are important characteristics in male and female faces and if weak or recessed can result in facial imbalance. Chin augmentation can be achieved by several methods:
  • Non-surgical augmentation of the chin with fillers (hyaluronic acid, Radiesse) offer a conservative augmentation that is temporary for between 6-12months. Fillers are generally softer materials so the augmentation of the bone along the jaw line is generally limited in effectiveness. They offer the advantage of a non-surgical procedure that enable a patient to “try out an improvement” before surgery.
  • Chin augmentation with a chin implant requires a surgical procedure to insert the chin implant, however the size of the implant can be tailored to the individual and the implants will last long-term.
  • Augmentation of the chin with jaw advancement surgery (termed sliding genioplasty) requires more invasive surgery than insertion of a chin implant. Often the treatment is coupled with orthodontics requiring braces to realign bite that requires many months of treatment, there is numbness in the area of the jaw after treatment which can be permanent.

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon