Chin Implants Gone Wrong

I got a chin implant last spring. I asked the surgeon's assistant to show me the implant before they put it in but I didn't got to see it. When they started the surgery, I was already too much asleep to ask for it again. My face looks rather too broad now, with a box-like appearance. My face was oval-shaped before. Do implants really change how the face looks at the front? What can be done about it?

Chin Implant Removal

It is important for patients to be fully informed of the procedure and the implants that will be used. Please be aware that patients are swollen for the first 3-6 weeks, with some patients more swollen than others. The box like appearance may or may not be the swelling of the chin. I want to encourage you to remain patient and allow your chin incision and pocket to heal. If you are still unhappy with your results after 3 months, perhaps the size and the shape of the implant used was not appropriate for your face dimensions. The only solution at that point is to take the implant out which is a relative straight forward procedure. I encourage you to consult with a board certified surgeon. I hope you found this information helpful.

Chin Implants

Yes, chin implants can change the shape of the face, depending on the type of implant used. There are many impants on the market, used for different purposes. Some chin implants enhance only the chin, while others make the jawline a little boxy, which is good if that's what you want. The simple answer is this: if you’re unhappy with the way your chin implant makes your face look, have it removed and start over. They are easiy removed.

Laurence M. Milgrim, MD
Teaneck Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the correct implant/method is important

Hi Pristine, your question is a bit tricky to answer it's hard to know what implant was used. That being said it might have been difficult for you to make a choice anyway. What seemed small may have ended up being too big, or vice versa. There is also the issue of doing a sliding genioplasty, which is generally not done becasue of the ease and the reliability of chin implants, but from perspective, having done both methods, although a sliding genioplasty is more paiful initially and a greater surgical procedure, it is worth it because the surgeon is more control of the chin and can mold it a little metter than when you have a pre-made implant. That's just my opinion.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Possible wrong implant

Chin implants come in two basic styles 1) short....meaning sits over mostly the point of the chin. and  2) extended....meaning wraps around the chin out past the jowls. It is important to choose the right implant for a patients facial shape, size and even personality.  Some men want an extended implant to get a more squared lower face look and some don't. Others may not look good in a short implant if they already have a pointed chin. It is important to look at all the styles before choosing and even trying on sample chins to get an idea before surgery what you might like best. If you don't like the chin have it removed and replaced with a short one, very easy to do.

Changing a chin implant

It's possible that your chin implant could be removed and trimmed down to decrease the size, or simply be replaced.  Without the benefit of an exam, and knowing which implant size/shape you have it's difficult to give further information.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Choosing the correct chin implant

It is much more important for the patient to relate to his/her surgeon what type of an aesthetic result is the ultimate goal, then to visually choose the type of implant to be used.  It is up to a skilled and experienced surgeon to pick the right implant to achieve the desired result.  Chin implants come in many different styles and sizes, it is not reasonable to expect the patient to make this choice.  It is important to find the right surgeon whom you can trust to deliver the results you desire.

It is possible to exchange your implant to achieve the desired result.  Make sure you explain to the surgeon clearly what you are not happy with, and what change you would like to see.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

The Effect of Facial Implants

It is unlikely that your surgeon changed the implant from the one you were shown to a different one. There are circumstances when several sizes are considered and then chosen during the surgery. However, if that was the plan I am sure it would have been discussed ahead of time.

Chin implants, as with other facial implants, change the appearance of the face from all views. Although chin implants give a more profound change to the profile view, they certainly do change your appearance when seen from the front. I usually image this for patients so they understand what to expect. Usually, it does strengthen and square off the chin from the front to some degree. The amount of change in this regard depends on the size and shape of the implant, which is usually chosen in accordance with the patient's anatomy and surgical goals.

Depending on the implant type, it may or may not be easy to remove. Usually, removal is the only way to reverse the effect of the implant. Sometimes, a smaller implant can be used. These and other options should be discussed with your surgeon. Good luck!

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Imaging is Important for Facial Implants

Unfortunately, I think that even if you had seen the implant before surgery, it may have been difficult for you to have known what the result would have turned out like. Just like trying on clothes, you may really not know what it will look like until you see it on you.

Of course, you don't want to wait until after surgery to know if you will like the result of your procedure. That's why many plastic surgeons use imaging to assure that the patient's desired result is communicated. Chin implants, like all facial implants can make a subtle or dramatic changes to your appearance.

If at all possible, you certainly want to make sure that you know what the expected result will be before you commit to the procedure. If you are considering a secondary procedure, it would be very beneficial to you to have imaging done utilizing your original photos to communicate the look you are wishing to achieve.

Thomas T. Nguyen, MD

Chin Implants can certainly change Facial Appearance

Hello Pristine,

Based on the information you have provided it certainly sounds like a visit with your original Surgeon is in order.

They should have on record the type of implant used, the size, if any alterations were made to it, etc. In addition you can also look at some before and after photos of yourself to see what changes the implant has made.

Also important is that the Surgeon make sure that the implant is still in good position. With time and healing, Implants can shift and slide up or down. This would certainly affect how it looks.

Chin Implants absolutely affect how your face looks from the front, the side, three-quarters angle, etc. that is exactly why they are used.

Options available to you can include:
1. Removal of Implant
2. Putting in a new implant of different size / shape
3. Repositioning the current implant
4. Using injectable fillers to shape and contour your chin to your liking
5. Do nothing and allow further healing if any swelling is still present

So please do see your Surgeon so you can start the process of getting the results that you wanted. Take care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

Chin too broad/square after chin implant

Your best bet in this circumstance is to remove the implant, and, if desired, replace with a differently-shaped model. This is a very "fixable" problem!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon