Chin Implants Gone Wrong

I got a chin implant last spring. I asked the surgeon's assistant to show me the implant before they put it in but I didn't got to see it. When they started the surgery, I was already too much asleep to ask for it again. My face looks rather too broad now, with a box-like appearance. My face was oval-shaped before. Do implants really change how the face looks at the front? What can be done about it?

Choosing the correct chin implant

+3

It is much more important for the patient to relate to his/her surgeon what type of an aesthetic result is the ultimate goal, then to visually choose the type of implant to be used.  It is up to a skilled and experienced surgeon to pick the right implant to achieve the desired result.  Chin implants come in many different styles and sizes, it is not reasonable to expect the patient to make this choice.  It is important to find the right surgeon whom you can trust to deliver the results you desire.

It is possible to exchange your implant to achieve the desired result.  Make sure you explain to the surgeon clearly what you are not happy with, and what change you would like to see.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant can have a tremendous impact on your looks

+2

Chin implant can have a tremendous impact on your looks. Because it is placed in the lower third of your face it will have the most impact in this area. But overall, it can change the appearance of your face as a whole to a great degree.  The changes to a box like appearance instead of an oval can definitely happen.  It might improve a little more over the next couple of months since you had it in the spring and right now it is fall going on winter. Your Physician will know the best on what to do.  But you can replace the implant. Work with the implant that you have in there by sculpting it.  It will most likely entail either a smaller implant, a more tapered implant and still you might need further tailoring of the implant to have it fit your face better.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing a chin implant

+2

It's possible that your chin implant could be removed and trimmed down to decrease the size, or simply be replaced.  Without the benefit of an exam, and knowing which implant size/shape you have it's difficult to give further information.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

The Effect of Facial Implants

+2

It is unlikely that your surgeon changed the implant from the one you were shown to a different one. There are circumstances when several sizes are considered and then chosen during the surgery. However, if that was the plan I am sure it would have been discussed ahead of time.

Chin implants, as with other facial implants, change the appearance of the face from all views. Although chin implants give a more profound change to the profile view, they certainly do change your appearance when seen from the front. I usually image this for patients so they understand what to expect. Usually, it does strengthen and square off the chin from the front to some degree. The amount of change in this regard depends on the size and shape of the implant, which is usually chosen in accordance with the patient's anatomy and surgical goals.

Depending on the implant type, it may or may not be easy to remove. Usually, removal is the only way to reverse the effect of the implant. Sometimes, a smaller implant can be used. These and other options should be discussed with your surgeon. Good luck!

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Imaging is Important for Facial Implants

+2

Unfortunately, I think that even if you had seen the implant before surgery, it may have been difficult for you to have known what the result would have turned out like. Just like trying on clothes, you may really not know what it will look like until you see it on you.

Of course, you don't want to wait until after surgery to know if you will like the result of your procedure. That's why many plastic surgeons use imaging to assure that the patient's desired result is communicated. Chin implants, like all facial implants can make a subtle or dramatic changes to your appearance.

If at all possible, you certainly want to make sure that you know what the expected result will be before you commit to the procedure. If you are considering a secondary procedure, it would be very beneficial to you to have imaging done utilizing your original photos to communicate the look you are wishing to achieve.

Thomas T. Nguyen, MD

Chin Implants can certainly change Facial Appearance

+2

Hello Pristine,

Based on the information you have provided it certainly sounds like a visit with your original Surgeon is in order.

They should have on record the type of implant used, the size, if any alterations were made to it, etc. In addition you can also look at some before and after photos of yourself to see what changes the implant has made.

Also important is that the Surgeon make sure that the implant is still in good position. With time and healing, Implants can shift and slide up or down. This would certainly affect how it looks.

Chin Implants absolutely affect how your face looks from the front, the side, three-quarters angle, etc. that is exactly why they are used.

Options available to you can include:
1. Removal of Implant
2. Putting in a new implant of different size / shape
3. Repositioning the current implant
4. Using injectable fillers to shape and contour your chin to your liking
5. Do nothing and allow further healing if any swelling is still present

So please do see your Surgeon so you can start the process of getting the results that you wanted. Take care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

Chin implant selection

+1

good morning Pristine

chin implant can significantly change the way your face looks from all angles. When the patient and I are having a conversation during the consultation about the right implant for them it's all about what their goals are, what is possible, and what is safe. There's lots of different types of implants and for the most part the implants can be customized by the surgeon if they are comfortable carving the material and preparing it for that patient's face. Not every surgeon has this artistic ability and so the selection of an implant is even more critical. I would simply ask your surgeon exactly what implant was placed and to verify that ask for the LOT number sticker that comes with the implant so you both will know what type of implant was placed. One implant does not fit everyone so it's critical you and your surgeon on the same page before surgery.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants

+1

Yes, chin implants can change the shape of the face, depending on the type of implant used. There are many impants on the market, used for different purposes. Some chin implants enhance only the chin, while others make the jawline a little boxy, which is good if that's what you want. The simple answer is this: if you’re unhappy with the way your chin implant makes your face look, have it removed and start over. They are easiy removed.

Laurence M. Milgrim, MD
Teaneck Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin too broad/square after chin implant

+1

Your best bet in this circumstance is to remove the implant, and, if desired, replace with a differently-shaped model. This is a very "fixable" problem!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the correct implant/method is important

+1

Hi Pristine, your question is a bit tricky to answer it's hard to know what implant was used. That being said it might have been difficult for you to make a choice anyway. What seemed small may have ended up being too big, or vice versa. There is also the issue of doing a sliding genioplasty, which is generally not done becasue of the ease and the reliability of chin implants, but from perspective, having done both methods, although a sliding genioplasty is more paiful initially and a greater surgical procedure, it is worth it because the surgeon is more control of the chin and can mold it a little metter than when you have a pre-made implant. That's just my opinion.

Srdjan Ostric, MD