Voluma vs Radiesse?

I've had radiesse injected into my cheeks, with the apple placed more laterally to produce a look which gave my face definition and angularity. Radiesse seemed to give me more of a bony augmentation because the filler is harder. I was wondering if voluma is capable of giving me enhanced cheekbones as radiesse did. I am worried that because of its hydrophilic nature, it will look more like a fatty augmentation and round my face.

Voluma vs Radiesse for cheek augmentation

+2
I've historically used Radiesse for cheek augmentation. However, Voluma has several very nice qualities that make it an even better filler for cheeks. It can create the same definition and when injected properly should not create a "fat" or round face. The filler lasts up to two years which is longer than Radiesse. It can also be dissolved if you were to have a complication from injection (uncommon). Radiesse cannot be removed. Further, the price point is very attractive. Some offices are charging more for Voluma because it's new but in time it will likely be priced very similarly to the going rate for Radiesse. As a parting thought, seek an experienced Voluma injector as this is a new product in the US.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse vs Voluma

+2
Both Radiesse and Voluma are injected at deeper depths. Often when I use Radiesse in the cheeks I end up putting a softer filler like Restylane over it so that it doesn't have the hard, angular look to it. I'm hoping that with the volume of Voluma I can just use that product instead. Even though Voluma is an HA filler it has a firmer stability with it, so it should not look fatty when injected properly but should give a soft but firm fill to the area.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Voluma versus Radiesse

+2

Hi D,

Both Radiesse and Voluma are excellent facial volumizers.  They both volumize the cheeks very well.  Voluma claims to last up to 2 years when adequate amounts are used.  More important than which filler is used will be who you choose as your aesthetic injecting physician.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Voluma vs. Radiesse

+2
Both products are excellent for giving definition to the malar area. Both are injected deep just above the cheek bone which gives them that cheek enhancement effect. Voluma is thicker than the other HA's so it does not draw water in. With both what you see is what you get. The FDA has established that Voluma may last  two years which would be an advantage. Both are very safe and you should do quite well with either.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Voluma has its advantages.

+1
For volumizing cheeks, both Voluma and Radiesse effectively fill, plump and uplift to restore a healthier and more youthful appearance. Nevertheless, I would recommend Voluma over Radiesse for the following two reasons. First, it lasts longer than Radiesse - up to two years. And secondly, Voluma allows for the retention of contour so that a patient's face doesn't wind up looking round and chubby. 

Hal Michael Bass, MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Radiesse?

+1
 Dear das, thank you for your question. Injectable fillers can be used to enhance facial volume, correct lines and depressions, and rejuvenate the face without surgery. Some common fillers used in our San Diego practice include restylane, juvederm, perlane, voluma, radiesse, and sculptra. Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon injector to review your options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse vs. Voluma

+1
Yes, Voluma and Radiesse are indeed two different materials. While Radiesse is composed of a calcium mineral, Voluma is a hyaluronic acid. Hyaluconic acids are by nature water-loving, or hydrophilic, so they tend to absorb water from the surrounding tissue. Most hyaluronic acids are suspended in enough water during manufacturing, that they will be close to equilibrium with the surrounding tissue, and won't draw in too much water or swell.

While Voluma may still be water-loving, it is designed with great lifting capacity, so it works exceptionally well in areas like the cheeks and won't give you a "fat" or "rounded" correction. As well, mid-face injections are deeper injections, so while you felt Radiesse may have given you nice angles, the product was placed at the same depth as Voluma would be, and both would essentially give similar correction, as both lift well.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma vs Radiesse

+1
Voluma is injected very deep into the skin, right above the bone. If it is done properly, you should notice a nice contouring and filling effect, similar in may regards to Radiesse. If you have had nice results with Radiesse, some would advice you to continue with that product.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma vs Radiesse

+1
Is Voluma an alternative to Radiesse? Yes and No. I think Voluma has several advantages over Radiesse. It is completely reversible if there's a problem, it lasts almost twice as long, it's softer than Radiesse and molds easier, and is FDA approved for mid face volume.

Radiesse has advantages as well. Radiesse is more volumizing and gives a better mid face lift because of the viscosity of the product. It also emulates bony augmentation better than Voluma though Implants would be a better option in the long run.  To achieve the same result as Radiesse, it seems an individual may need slightly more Voluma for the same effect though for bony augmentation, such as weak cheeks or chin, Radiesse will still be the favorite.  Unfortunately, you can't reverse it if you don't like it which is why fewer practitioners offer it but Radiesse can really lift moderate to severely sagging skin (no injectable product can give the same result as a facelift in these individuals) better and more cost effectively than Voluma.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Comparing Voluma and Radiesse

+1

Both Voluma and Radiesse are excellent, longer lasting fillers that can give nice lift and cheek definition. Voluma is a little more natural feeling, and can be dissolved by hyaluronidase if you weren't perfectly happy with it. I think Radiesse may lift a little more since its firmer, but both are great options. Best to speak with your dermatologist about the filler best for you. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon