Vivera Vs Grinding Guard As Retainer After Invisalign?

The space left by an extracted lower front tooth has finally closed after two rounds of Invisalign.

I am concerned about effective retention to keep that space closed. I grind my teeth. Is a grinding guard more or less retentive than Vivera over the long term? Would I do better with a grinding guard on top and Vivera on the bottom, or vice versa? Thank you.

Vivera Retainers vs. Bite Guard

+1

If I were you, I would use the upper and lower Vivera retainer program at first. You will get a new set of Vivera retainers every 3 months, and those retainers are in the shape of your final Invisalign result. So if your teeth drifted at all, they will go back to place every three months. If you are, in fact, grinding through the Viveras, either order them more frequently, or consider an upper bite guard.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Grinding guards for Invisalign

+1

Get a fixed wire bonded on the back of the teeth, next to where the tooth was removed, that way there is no chance of rebound. Vivera now makes a retainer that can incorporate that into its treatment. Grinding guards dont really retain your teeth. I'd wear both upper and lower vivera with the additiional bonded wire along with them.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist