Possible to Lose Weight by Using Invisalign?

I'm considering Invisalign and wonder about the amount of time you are to wear them. I know you can only take them out 2-4 hours a day. That eliminates snacking or drinking (other than water) during the day. Have you heard of cases where the person lost weight using them?

A little known side effect

+3

We generally don't promote this as a diet aid, but the average loss during treatment is 15 lbs. We noticed in our "after" pictures the changes, so we mention it during consultations.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

People will always find a way to overeat

+3

If you love to eat, this may not change your desires much. I have seen many people who have no teeth and no dentures to replace them and they still manage to be overweight. Even if Invisalign works to help you lose weight, you will still have the habits of eating too much and will likely gain the weight back when you stop Invisalign.

My advise, exercise and self discipline.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Possible to lose weight with Invisalign

+2

With the wearing of Invisalign aligners, you'll eat fewer snacks and sugar during the day. It's just too much work to eat a cookie then brush, floss, and put the aligners back in. Patients usually resort to protein drinks or beverages and they do lose some pounds over the course of treatment.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Weight Loss with Invisalign

+2

I am currently wearing Invisalign, and it makes me a lot less likely to snack.  I have not seen significant weight loss from it, however if you are a big snacker -- Invisalign may discourage the snacking.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Weight loss due to Invisalign

+2

Wearing your aligners for the prescribed 22 hours/day minimum can certainly curtain snacking. It depends on what your normal eating habits are like. If you tend not to snack, having 3 meals a day should not affect you. If you tend to snack throughout the day, you may find that you will cut down on that and that could cause some weight loss.

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and Snacks

+2

It is not a diet, but in reality poeple with braces and Invisalign do not snack as usual. But at the same time you have to change your diet habit.

Bruce Vafa, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and weight loss

+2

I think that Invisalign probably does discourage snacking if you wear your aligners as directed by your doctor. You will be less likely to snack since they must be removed when you eat. We have not had any patients in our office mention they have lost weight because of this procedure. Actually, I think you would be more likely to lose weight with metal braces. I think there is more pain involved when they are tightened and when you hurt, you are less likely to want to eat as much. Invisalign is NOT a diet aid!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist