If a Vial of Unmixed Botox is Left at Room Temperature (Not Frozen) Can It Still Be Used?

A vial of botox unmixed still in the freeze dried state but left at room temerature, is it still usable?

BOTOX® Cosmetic could be less effective if not stored properly

+1

Depending on how long the vial was left out, it is likely that the product is still acceptable to use but it could reduce the efficacy of the treatment you are offering to paying clients. Much like expiry date on a product, it is still good, but the active ingredients may become left effective.

Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox effectiveness

+1

Contact the Allergan company to find out. They  have a most wonderfully supportive and academic science department. How many hours is satisfactory to be left at room temperature before dilution and storage, or restorage after delivery.  The Botox is shipped on dry ice to protect it during transportation. It normally is unpacked and placed in a freezer before mixing with sterlie saline.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Botox left are room tempature for a very brief time should be ok, IMHO.  Anytime over an hour has not been tested and verified according to my knowledge but Allergan would be the person to ask.  Call your rep and find out.

Botox Storage

+1

It is against Allergan's recommendations to use Botox that has not been stored at the appropriate temperature.  You run the risk of delivering a treatment that may not be effective.  While it is likely that it would be fine, if a patient that is paying for their product, you want to insure that it is efficacious.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Unmixed Botox left out of refrigerator

+1

It is possible that the unmixed Botox left out of refrigerator will lose it's effectiveness. If it was out for more than one hour, we will not use it. For best and most accurate answer to you question, call the manufacturer Allergan 

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Botox on the shelf

+1

Leaving Botox at room temperature for prolonged periods is not recommended by Allergan.  I keep it on ice or in a freezer/refrigerator. Check with the company.

No one knows the answer to this.

+1

Almost every office follows Allergan storage recommendations.  The product is so expensive, there is no reason to leave this to change.  However, it is clear that this product is actually much tougher that initially described by Allergan.  It is likely that product left out on the counter will be just find, even for multiple days.  Again, no office would be deviating from Allergan recommendations so the incentive to actually put this to the test does not exist.  It is worth noting that Xeomin a competing botulinum toxin product requires no refrigeration.

Botox Storage

+1

I would recommend contacting Allergan.  If the vial has been left out for under an hour, it would probably be fine.  I'm not sure about longer times.  Allergan would know best!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Storing Botox

+1

Allergan recommends that Botox be stored in a refrigerator 2-8 degrees Celsius; it no longer needs to be stored in a freezer, though shipments will arrive on dry ice. I would not recommend using vials left at room temperature though your best bet for information on this would be to contact Allergan directly about their storage and use requirements.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD