More Veins Than Ever 2 1/2 Months After Closure

I had the Vnus Closure treatment 2 1/2 months ago.The last few weeks I have had large blue veins branching out from the upper front of my thighs,along the side and backs of my thighs and knees. Some behind legs are starting to bulge. Never had any veins on my thighs before Closure. What is happening?

New veins after radiofrequency ablation

+1
After undergoing radiofrequency ablation of your vein the circulation in your leg should be improved and any increased pressure in your superficial leg veins should resolve.  If you are noticing more veins, an ultrasound would be very helpful in confirming your treated vein remains closed, ruling out a blood clot, and making sure that there are not any other veins that have become problematic.  If your ultrasound comes back normal, the your physician will most likely discuss the options of micro-phlebectomy and sclerotherapy based on the size of the veins that are bothering you. 

At this point, I would recommend returning to the physician who treated you for venous reflux and discuss your concerns with them.  They would more then likely order another ultrasound to re-evaluate your circulation. 

Nashville General Surgeon

Need ultrasound.

+1

Post closure procedure, if new veins begin to form, then a reason for their formation needs to be evaluated.  This is best done by a follow up venous reflux ultrasound.  You need to ensure that the treated veins are closed, that there is not another source (refluxing valve) feeding the new veins or that you now have new vein formation (neovascularization).  Depending on the ultrasound findings, then appropriate treatment can be started.  This may require closing other valves, sclerotherapy or microphlebectomies.  You should return to your treating physician or follow up with a vein specialist.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Bulging veins after vnus

+1

i would get another ultrasound to make sure no dvt is present.  more than likely all those veins were there before vnus and you just didnt pay as much attention to them.

bulging veins are not always treated with just vnus alone. sometimes a microphlebectomy is also needed.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon