Uneven Swelling with Juvederm?

I received juvederm earlier today and I'm noting the swelling is uneven, is this normal! I've had VERY minimal swelling and I feel like maybe I only swelled on one side?

Uneven swelling with Juvederm

+2

Almost everyone is asymmetrical so part of what is done with fillers is to somewhat balance the asymmetry. This means that certain areas (or sides) may be get a bit more filler than the other side. Hence, you can be more swollen on one side vs the other. Don't press on it. Ice it for today. And then let everything settle down and assess it after 7-10 days. At that point if anything is asymmetrical it can be addressed, but not until then.

Uneven swelling of lips after Juvederm injection

+1

Given that you just received refiller today, it is not at all uncommon to develop swelling in your lips. As with anything, it is rare the swelling ends up being exactly the same from one side to the other.

Give it some time. Establish a follow-up visit with your injector for about two weeks. Presuming everything looks good, you may cancel that. Otherwise, keep your two week checkup and have them consider a tweak.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Swelling with Juvederm?

+1

Uneven swelling after Juvederm injection is not unusual.  There can be many reasons for uneven swelling.  Bruising may occur more on one side than the other, contributing to the swelling.  More product may have been injected on one side.  You may be concern that the uneven swelling will result in uneven results, but once the swelling has subsided, everything will likely balance out.  If there remains asymmetry, you could return to your injector for evaluation.

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.) 

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Uneven Swelling with Juvederm?

+1

The first several days after Juvederm injection to the lips swelling can be prominent and, if bruising is present, this swelling may last 2 weeks or more.  I generally recommend at least 2 weeks before reinjection of Juvederm to the lips.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetrical swelling after Juvederm

+1

Swelling is almost always uneven after fillers.  It is important not to be overly concerned about it in the early days following treatment and to let the swelling subside before critically evaluating the result.  If the unevenness is still there 2 weeks after treatment, a touch up may be needed.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon