Uneven Swelling/dropping of Breasts 3 Weeks Post-op

3 weeks ago I had under the muscle breast augmentation (silicone,450 each) bringing me from a 34C to a 34DD. From the time I awoke I experienced more pain in the left breast than right, but size appeared even. I'm noticing now swelling in the left is not subsiding as quickly as the right, and it appears to sit higher than the right breast as well. Is this normal? Adding to my anxiety, my son's soccer ball hit me in the left breast 1 wk post op. Could this cause serious/permanent harm? Thank You!

Uneven swelling of breast post-operatively

Uneven swelling three weeks after surgery is not at all unusual. It will probably take another 3-6 months for all the swelling to resolve and for you to be able to see your final result. It sounds like, for whatever reason, there was more surgery on your left side than right--which would be expected to make the healing process slower.

I understand your concern about being hit by the soccer ball and the person best able to judge whether there was significant damage from the incident is your surgeon. Chances are, if there was no significant change immediately after you were hit, there is minimal to no additional damage. But you should be seeing your surgeon on a regular basis to evaluate your healing and he or she would be the one to decide if there was damage. Just remember there is always some difference between our two sides and we all tend to be more critical of our own "flaws" than others are. So relax and enjoy your new look.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

The implant shape may change but they will not looks smaller as they drop. The implant will not look symmetric at first this takes time.   At this point you just need to wait and allow gravity and you tissues to accommodate to the implant volume.

Uneven swelling after breast augmentation

Swelling following breast augmentation does not always subside evenly. More likely than not, the edema will continue to go down. However, if you noticed a significant size increase in your left breast immediately after being hit with a soccer ball, it is possible that you developed a hematoma on that side. You should ask your plastic surgeon, and consider obtaining a breast ultrasound if it persists.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Uneven Swelling/dropping of Breasts

Swelling after surgery is very common and can be uneven despite the fact that you are 3 weeks post op.  However, during the next week(s) you should be able to see the swelling decrease and notice an improvement in the appearance of your breasts.   The trauma of the soccer ball hitting your Left breast might cause the swelling on that side to last a little longer.  As always I recommend that you follow up with your surgeon.  He/She via a physical exam will be able to determine if your swelling may be  associated to any other pathology such as:  infection, seroma, or hematoma.  These conditions are a little more serious and would possibly need treatment.  So I recommend that you see your surgeon within a reasonable amount of time.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Recovery Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Every patient recovers differently and each breast heals at its own rate. Please follow up with your board-certified surgeon regarding your pain. It is vital to inform them of any issues you have during your recovery.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Normal for asymmetric healing rate

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.