5 weeks post op of Rhinoplasty, my nostrils are uneven. Is this normal? (photo)

I'm 5 weeks post closed rhinoplasty and very worried about my uneven nostrils. Also, one side of my tip looks more swollen than the other, I'm not sure if it's swelling or the doctor has actually destroyed my nose. I had a bump removed, and the tip narrowed, please tell me if this can be swelling, and if not, what are my options. Thanks

Nostril assymety

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Nostril asymmetry is really quite common in all individuals. Since we don't have your pre op pictures, it's hard to evaluate but I always stress to my patients that this can occur.  Regarding the tip asymmetry, this doesn't look like swelling to me, though I can't be sure.  Again, without seeing your prep pictures and knowing exactly what was done, it's really hard to evaluate.  You really need to discuss these concerns with your surgeon.  It's way to early to consider revision surgery but if the problem does not resolve a revision can always be considered.  In my practice, we nearly alway recommend waiting at least 6 months before even considering revision.

Abilene Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven and swollen nose after surgery

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned with what you feel especially with the "uneven nostrils" and a "swollen tip". The post op swelling is anticipated and every patient is a little different hence the possibility of explaining what you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

Nonetheless, it is way to early to pass a judgement. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS