Uneven Height of Nostrils

hi, i had a rhinoplasty 20 days ago and im really worried about the result of it because the nostrils is not even, the left side is higher then the other, i ask my doctor about this and his answers to me is not clear. is there any posibilities that it will be even? i really appreciate if you can help me on this matter...or is there anyway i can correct it??

Uneven nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1

You're not a month after your Rhinoplasty and the differences between the alar heights are very small.  If after your nose is healed, 6-9 months...there are several techniques to specifically address the higher alar rim however I'm not sure this is required based on your photos.

You may be a candidate for a non-surgical rhinoplasty procedure to lower the height of your nostrils.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo. You appear to have a slight amount of nostril retraction on both sides. You're relatively early in your healing, and I'm not certain whether or not this will improve with time. In my practice, I have had favorable results lowering nostril margins with Silikon-1000, an off-label injectable filler for permanent results. Please be sure your physician is experienced in the delicate art of using fillers for nasal rejuvenation before proceeding.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils that are too high can be corrected

+1

I don't know what your nostrils looked like before surgery, but nostrils can hike up if the alar (tip) cartilages are reduced and cannot brace the rims in their correct positions, or if the surgical incisions--especially in open rhinoplasty--are too close to the rims or are not repaired accurately.

If you do not get better, your problem, which is common, can be fixed.  The surgeon can take "composite" grafts (cartilage and skin) from one of your ears and put pieces of it into incisions inside your nostrils.  These grafts add lining and push the rims down. I reported 100 consecutive cases in which I did this procedure in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery about 10 years ago.  The procedure is very reliable and effective, so don't worry.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Wound healing is a very complex process it can take a year for a wound to heal, the nose is small, and small amounts of swelling show.  Be patient.  Way too soon to judge your result

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Rhinoplasty results

+1

In general, one needs to wait at least 2 - 3 months before initially evaluating rhinoplasty results.  In fact, it really takes a full year and sometimes more for all the swelling to resolve to see the final result.  It is also very important to compare the results with the before pictures.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD