Uneven Breasts - Will Insurance Cover Implants?

I am 21 years old, two years ago I had a fine needle aspiration on my right breast. Throughout the two years I have noticed that my right breast has gotten drastically smaller. Now my breasts are very noticeably uneven. My left breast is about a full c and my left is almost a full a. I am looking to get implants to make my breasts at least somewhat even. What are the chances it will get covered by insurance?

Assymetry and Insurance coverage

+1

By law, insurance companies must pay for implants used in breast reconstruction associated with cancer.  In fact, before 1998 even breast cancer reconstruction was not universally covered because insurance executives did not think that having breasts were "medically necessary" . It took a law to make that happen.  Everything else will be considered cosmetic including asymmetry not related to cancer and thus not be covered. Every insurance is different with the exception that they profit by not paying for health care services. There is a perverse incentive to collect premiums from consumers and not pay for care. You have to be your strongest advocate for your health. As a consumer, call your insurance company and make your case. I bet you doctor will arm you with all the medical documentation.

Breat asymmetry

+1

Following a medically necessary breast procedure, it is unlikely but possible to have your insurance company cover your surgery. Your asymmetry needs to be documented by photography and have your plastic surgeon send it in for a preauthorization. If your assymetry is dramatic, it won't hurt to give it a try.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and breast augmentation

+1

Unfortunately, insurance companies do not cover surgery for breast augmentation even with significant asymmetry.  Good luck.

Health Insurance Will Not Cover Breast Implants Due To Breast Asymmetry Alone

+1

Despite your feeling that there is a medical reason for your breast asymmetry, I would say that there is no chance that insurance would cover breast implants, otherwise known in CPT coding as breast augmentation. For insurance to cover breast implants, it would have to be done for reconstructive purposes which insurance views as cancer-based. Only in cases of lumpectomies or mastectomies will insurance cover breast reconstruction with implants.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No insurance coverage for breast asymmetry

+1

Asymmetery of the breasts is the norm - rarely are women's breasts identical. Even having undergone a fine needle biopsy of your breast, probably no insurance company today would cover this as a reconstructive procedure. Therefore, in order to improve the appearance and symmetry of your breasts, this would have to be paid out of pocket as a cosmetic procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast asymmetry not covered by insurance.

+1

HI.

Twenty years or so ago I wrote a textbook chapter on breast asymmetry, and because of that, have treated a lot of women with this problem. And we cannot get insurance coverage.  It is a congenital deformity, and it should be covered, but unfortunately it is not.

You can try going to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital, where you usually get safe, inexpensive care.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Insurance coverage for breast implants- good luck with that

+1

Althought the breast assymetry you describe is concern to you, and is temporally related to the FNA that you had done- I doubt an insurance company would pay for breast implants to address what is a purely cosmetic issue. Insurance companies do not cover cosmetic procedures. Breast augmentation can be done to address the assymetry that you do have, but plan to pay out-of-pocket for it.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS