Underwire Bra After Breast Reduction.....How Long Should I Wait?

Underwire Bra After Reduction

I agree that this is a question best asked of your sugeon.  In general I think patients should wait for about six weeks after everything has healed.  The pressure of the underwire on the scar might actually be beneficial in some patients help flatten a hypertrophic scar.

Wearing an underwire bra following breast reduction

Recommendations as to when to be able to wear an underwire bra varies among plastic surgeons. You should inquire of your operating plastic surgeon to determine what his/her approach is. Typically, my patients will wait several weeks, often around a month, before wearing one.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Under-wires after breast reduction

The under-wire issue after breast reduction is a question of comfort, and the reduction pattern used. As most of our patients will have a vertical or short scar pattern, the can return to an under-wire after the first two weeks. If a full 'T' pattern was needed the under-wire on the horizontal closure may be uncomfortable at two weeks and a soft bra may be better several weeks longer or until the sensitivity subsides.

peterjohnsonmd

Bra after breast reduction

In general, it is best to ask these type of questions of your surgeon who knows you and your postoperative (healing) course best. Having said that, I think it is your best interests to wait as long as possible to use bras  with wiring. The use of a soft bra  may avoid irritation of the immature scars and prove the final appearance of the scars. In my practice, this time off underwire bra is usually one year postoperatively.

Under wire bra after breast reduction

I agree that it is best to ask your plastic surgeon on their preferences.  I personally prefer my patients to wait 3-4 weeks, or untill the incisions are completely healed and an under wire can be worn comfortably. 

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel