What Does a Scar from Umbilical Hernia Repair Look Like?

I have a small umbilical hernia which has been exacerbated by two previous laparoscopies and having a baby. The surgeon I have seen wants to make a curved incision following the bottom of my navel (like a smile). Will this scar be noticeable or would you have to be searching to notice it? What do the scars look like? My surgeon doesn't have any photos of the healed scars.

Fixing an umbilical or belly button hernia with a small scar - Scar treatment

+1

I use a very small incision that is hidden within the belly button for most umbilical hernia repairs.

Umbilical hernia repair scar

+1

The scar will vary depending upon what kind of surgeon performs your surgery (and how he or she closes the wound) as well as what is necessary to fix that hernia. A plastic surgeon may likely use more specialized techniques in closure that will make the scar less noticeable.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

The may scar may depend on what is required to adequately repair the hernia

+1

Umbilical hernias come in all "shapes and sizes", some may be very small and easy to repair through a limited incision with little trauma to the surrounding skin. Some may be more extensive and require a longer incision and more stretch of the skin to get the work done. There is also individual variability in how we all heal and scar.

Your surgeon, based on the exam of your abdomen and his experience may be able to give you a general range of results, but there is no way to know for sure.

John E. Gross, MD