Is Tummy Tuck Similar to a Hysterectomy?

Is Tummy Tuck very much like a Hysterectomy procedure? Do you cut through the wall muscle? I am post op 4 weeks hysterectomy - removal of cervix and womb.

Thank God I have started to feel better now. I would like a Tummy Tuck but would like to know the details of operation first.

Tummy tuck easier than hysterectomy.

+1

Hi!

Most of our patients say that a tummy tuck is less painful and easier to recover from than either a hysterectomy or a C section.

Tummy tuck vs hysterectomy

+1

A tummy tuck is easier to recovery from than a tummy tuck. Actually a tummy tuck is often combined with hysterectomy since you are already recovering from that surgery and also working in the same area. The muscle is rarely if ever cut in a tummy tuck - it is just tightened or plicated to give you a flatter appearance. In a tummy tuck you don't go into the abdominal cavity whereas in a hysterectomy you do - that is where the big difference is and therefore the recovery for a hysterectomy is longer than a tummy tuck. With a tummy tuck you can typically get back to desk work and driving in about 10 days. The incision for a tummy tuck is longer but it is less invasive than a hysterectomy.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Tummy Tuck Pain Less than Hysterectomy

+1

You should have significantly less pain with a tummy tuck than you are experiencing with your hysterectomy. A lot of your present pain is due to cutting through the muscle layers. This is not done with a typical tummy tuck. The muscles may be plicated but are not divided. You will certainly have some discomfort but it should be much less than with your hysterectomy.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck is not like hysterectomy

+1

Tummy tuck is not like hysterectomy. In hysterectomy, the surgeon has to cut through your muscles and then operative in your abdominal cavity. The recovery from this procedure is not similar to tummy tuck. In tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, the skin is elevated off of the muscles and the muscles are sometimes tightened. The extra skin is then removed and the incision closed.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck is an easier recovery.

+1

This is not like a hysterectomy as you abdomen is not entered and no muscles are cut. The abdominal wall is tightened and the excess skin removed. My patients seem to have an easier recovery than those with intra abdominal surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck versus Hysterectomy

+1

A tummy tuck is less invasive than the hysterectomy because you do not violate a major body cavity. It usually involves skin removal, fat removal and muscle tightening. However, muscles are rarely cut and not organs are removed.

Tummy tuck recovery vs hysterectomy

+1

The recovery from a tummy tuck is comparable to that of a hysterectomy.  The muscles are not cut in a tummy tuck and the abdomen is not entered.  Having had abdominal surgery gives you a leg up on the recovery from a TT because you already know what abdominal surgery feels like.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS