Tummy Tuck First or Brazilian Butt Lift?

Which procedure should be done first between Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift with fat grafting? Should I do the butt augmentation first to make sure there will be enough fat, or the tummy tuck so my waist will narrow down then have a better butt augmentation result? I am confused and the doctor who will perform my Tummy Tuck does not do butt augmentation. I will have to travel for that procedure.

Great question - takes a large amount of fat for the butt lift

+5

This is a frequent question in my practice as women who come to me for the Brazilian Bottock lift do not always have the proper amount of fat elsewhere to provide enough donor fat for the buttick lift. Looking at your pictures, I would stage the procedure, to ensure that we would have enough fat for the buttock lift by also liposuctioning your abdomen. which I do not like to do in combination with an abdominoplasty. Finally, I am very careful what procedures I combine with abdominoplasty, as this procedure has the highest incidence of deep venous thrombosis of all the cosmetic procedures we do. If you would like any more information about the buttock lift, pleases feel free to contact my office. We have perfromed well over 100 of these procedures and have learned that proper technique is crucial to the success of the procedure. There will be a show airing in August on TLC channel wjere I performed this particular procedure on a patient. Good luck!

Alway do the Brazilian Butt Lift first

+4

Hi there-

Especially when there is some question about whether there is enough fat available for a pleasing Brazilian Butt Lift outcome, it is imperative that the fat present not be disturbed by another procedure... (provided the patient already know she wanted this)

I would therefore ALWAYS recommend doing the Brazilian Butt Lift first. In my practice, it is our routine to do the Brazilian Butt Lift, and follow 6 weeks later with the tummy tuck, and I can tell you our outcomes have been excellent.

Armando Soto, MD

Butt Lift and a Tummy Tuck - Timing for Surgery

+3

In my practice, I perform butt reshaping very frequently. To answer your question in regard to having multiple procedures done at the same time, including a tummy tuck, you have to understand what involves the postoperative recovery of the fat transfer procedure to the buttock area and what the procedure is about. The fact is that as much fat as possible is needed to reshape the person’s butt and make it proportionate to the body frame. In other words, fat will be taken from the abdomen, flanks, back, and axilla among other areas. Now, after surgery, you can’t sit constantly on the buttock for approximately 10-14 days to make sure the fat is not damaged. If going to the bathroom, the person can just sit for 5 minutes. That’s it.

Now, let’s think about the tummy tuck. You will have an incision on your lower abdomen that will hurt so most likely you won’t be able to lie on your stomach for some days. Let’s say you have a tummy tuck and a Brazilian butt lift. You won’t be able to lie on your back due to the Brazilian butt augmentation nor on your chest because of the tummy tuck. In other words, your recovery will be unbearable.

This is not a matter of having multiple procedures done at the same time. In fact, multiple procedures at the same time like a tummy tuck and a breast surgery (Mommy makeover) could be done but not together with the Brazilian butt lift. In my practice, I perform the Brazilian butt lift first, harvest as much fat as possible, and then do a tummy tuck at least 6 months after the procedure, if the patient needs it. This will depend on how your skin will respond to liposuction.

In my practice, some of my patients have indicated me that certain surgeons recommend having multiple procedures done with the buttock augmentation.  On further questioning, they even recommend having a tummy tuck and also the butt augmentation while the patients are on their back on the surgical table. Injecting the butt with fat when the patients are lying on their back is a bad idea. You will need to be on your chest for the surgeon to visualize the areas of deficiency and inject the buttock properly. In addition, if you take into consideration the surgical implications of both procedures, you come to the conclusion that it is not possible. For example, when you close the incision for a tummy tuck, many times the patient’s belly needs to be bent forward to excise the excess abdominal skin. Consequently, this will prevent the patient from lying on the chest for the buttock procedure once the tummy tuck is done.

Understanding the postoperative recovery is as important as the surgery itself. In conclusion, I do not recommend having any procedure done in addition to the butt sculpting procedure since you will compromise your recovery and long-term results

Wilberto Cortes, MD

Tummy tuck before or after Brazilian butt lift

+3

These are both very complementary procedures and in all likelihood, should be performed at the same time. I would recommend that you find a plastic surgeon willing to do both procedures at the same time. The fat obtained from the tummy tuck and liposuction portion will be very useful in providing fat for transfer to the buttocks. If it is done before the buttock lift, then there will be less fat for buttock augmentation. If you are planning on doing them separately, then I would do the butt lift first since all the fat can be suctioned out of the abdomen. The left over sagging skin can then be removed with a tummy tuck. Good luck with your decision.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Tummy Tuck or Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

Dear Livylive,

It would be helpful to have pictures of your back as well, but from what I see you are very thin. Although that makes for a GREAT tummy tuck (assuming you are not a smoker or have other health concerns), you simply do not have sufficient fat in your tummy for a major fat transfer to the buttocks.

UNLESS you are willing to EITHER gain weight just to have more for transfer (illogical in my opinion), or are willing to pay for and have liposuction of arms and thighs to try to get more fat (more costly and painful), I would recommend your surgeon liposuction your hips and especially the pre-sacral area together with a tummy tuck. The liposuction of those areas ALONE, will make your present buttocks look A LOT rounder and projecting without the extensive liposuction needed otherwise to get the amount of fat required for a Brazilian Butt Lift.

Hope this helped.

Tummy Tuck and BBL often done at same time

+1
Typically in my practice we do these procedures at the same time as long as the total surgery time is less than 6 hours.. From your photos it would appear you are a good candidate.. It is a common choice for Mommy Makeover patients. It makes a lot of sense to combine procedures: One recovery, and only being put asleep once and waking up, only one recovery room charge etc. Another advantage is that you can harvest fat from the tummy including the extra part that would be discarded in a tummy tuck and use if for the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL).

On the other hand, having staged, separate, procedures make sense for some. Your plastic surgeon should be able to guide you to the best decision.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

BBL or tummy tuck 1st.

+1

It can be done either way.  It often depends on your body type and your skin quality.  It also depends on what is more important for you, do you want the tummy or the buttock to look good now?

Dennis Dass, MD

You're a candidate for both Abdominoplasty and Buttock Enhancement

+1

I think you are a good candidate for both surgeries.

I would recommend doing both at the same time.

Fat is obtained from the abdomen, Hips, flanks and back to inject into the buttocks.ana an abdominoplasty done at the same time. That combination and the liposuction will give you the figure you desire.

Brazilian Butt lift and Tummy Tuck

+1

SEE VIDEO FOR BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT WITH TUMMY TUCK:

It is possible that both can be performed together. I understand that your surgeon does not perform both. If you have a choice I would recommend the Brazilian Butt Lift first and then the Tummy Tuck to allow for additonal contouring or fat grafting.