Liposuction at the Same Time with Umbilical Hernia Repair?

I'm having an umbilical hernia repaired, can I get liposuction at the same time? I work out a lot and am in great shape but can't seem to lose the small layer of fat in my mid section. I was wondering if I could get liposuction done at the same time as my umbilical hernia repair? My general surgeon is going to go through the top of my belly button to keep scarring at a minimum and because the hernia is small, mesh will not be used. Thanks for your advice!

Liposuction can be done during a hernia repair, in most cases

As the other surgeons have indicated, combining procedures is frequently wise:

• only one anesthetic
  • only one recovery period
  • some of the fee may be split between the insurance company and you yourself

However, be certain that you do not have an incarcerated umbilical hernia. In unusual circumstances, a loop of intestine can be caught in the hernia. If that bowel is injured during the repair, the case will be have been "contaminated." Although the hernia repair can still be performed successfully in the vast majority of cases, the surgeons should NOT do the liposuction. Yes, even if you paid for it, you are better off not having liposuction at the same time as an intestinal injury. Bowel contents (read poop!) will contaminate wounds, and I would not want to increase the size of a dirty surgery unless the procedure were absolutely necessary (which liposuction never is).

Ventura Plastic Surgeon