Liposuction at the Same Time with Umbilical Hernia Repair?

I'm having an umbilical hernia repaired, can I get liposuction at the same time? I work out a lot and am in great shape but can't seem to lose the small layer of fat in my mid section. I was wondering if I could get liposuction done at the same time as my umbilical hernia repair? My general surgeon is going to go through the top of my belly button to keep scarring at a minimum and because the hernia is small, mesh will not be used. Thanks for your advice!

Liposuction can be done during a hernia repair, in most cases

+3

As the other surgeons have indicated, combining procedures is frequently wise:

• only one anesthetic
  • only one recovery period
  • some of the fee may be split between the insurance company and you yourself

However, be certain that you do not have an incarcerated umbilical hernia. In unusual circumstances, a loop of intestine can be caught in the hernia. If that bowel is injured during the repair, the case will be have been "contaminated." Although the hernia repair can still be performed successfully in the vast majority of cases, the surgeons should NOT do the liposuction. Yes, even if you paid for it, you are better off not having liposuction at the same time as an intestinal injury. Bowel contents (read poop!) will contaminate wounds, and I would not want to increase the size of a dirty surgery unless the procedure were absolutely necessary (which liposuction never is).

Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Hernia Repair

+2

Without pictures or examining you, it is hard to give specific advice. However, in general, it would be okay to perform liposuction at the same time a umbilical hernia repair. However, if mesh is going to be used during the repair, then I would caution against liposuction at the same procedure. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Your plastic surgeon may fix your hernia as well

+2

Liposuction can certainly follow an umbilical hernia repair. In fact, it is likely that your plastic surgeon can perform both procedures and do so at the same operation. Of course, different surgeons are comfortable with different procedures, but many plastic surgeons such as myself are fully trained general surgeons as well and have fixed many umbilical hernias. Ask your surgeons how to best proceed!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

An umbilical hernia Repair CAN be followed by Liposuction

+2

As long as the umbilical hernia is repaired first - there should be no contraindications to follow it with liposuction of the area. By repairing the hernia, all of its intra-abdominal contents are returned to the safety of the abdomen and the "roof" is repaired. Liposuction can then be safely performed.

Liposuction combined with umbilical hernia repair possible

+1

It is certainly possible to have an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as liposuction. I would have the umbilical hernia repaired first and then undergo the liposuction in the same setting.

Umbilical Hernia repair and liposuction

+1

Having two procedures done at the same time is not unreasonable, and certainly makes sense in your case. The liposuction procedure could be performed via the umbilicus, and possibly several other small incisions. Also, as my colleagues have indicated, I would make sure that your general surgeon and plastic surgeon are familiar with each other.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at the same time as an umbilical hernia repair

+1

Hi Acrz127 - You should be okay getting liposuction at the same time as your hernia repair. If you have any other scars on your abdomen from previous surgeries, be careful not to be too aggressive with the liposuction because of blood supply issues to the abdominal skin. Cosmetic procedures are very frequently tied in with insurance-paid ones, and you may save some money on the anesthesia and facility fees as well because of this. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Liposuction and hernia repair

+1

As long as your plastic surgeon feels that you are a good liposuction candidate, it would be fine to combine an umbilical hernia repair with liposuction. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Can do liposuction together with hernia repair.

+1

HI!

Going by your description, it's very reasonable to combine liposuction with your umbilical hernia repair.

See a plastic surgeon that your general surgeon is used to working with.  The right team approach is important.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuctioning with hernia repair possible

+1

Assunming you are a candidate for liposutioning, I would see no reason why you wouldn't be able to have the hernia repair and the liposutioning at the same time. You should be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to find out if that is what you need.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon