Liposuction Recovery

I'm thinking about liposuction but I need more info. about the recovery.  How much time is usually enough for liposuction recovery? Do most people see days, weeks or months of downtime after lipo?

Liposuction Downtime

+7

For most individuals I recommend they take about a week off of work. For patients having small amounts of liposuction they may only need 2-3 days. Swelling usually starts to go away in earnest at about 7-10 days after surgery and patients look good in clothes by this time. As far as strenuous activity is concerned, I usually recommend that patients start to ramp up into their prior workout routine at about two weeks - being careful not to cause discomfort. For most patients I find that they are back to full speed by 4-6 weeks after surgery even though their swelling will be reducing for probably 3-5 months. Bruising is rarely an issue after two weeks following surgery. Best of Luck

Recovery Post Liposuction

+4

The downtime with any surgery can vary based on the individual.  Although, in my experience, liposuction is one of the easiest procedures in terms of recovery time.  Most patients will be able to return to work within a week post procedure, however some of my patients are good to go within a few days.  There will be some swelling and bruising from the surgery that will last a few weeks, and then mild residual swelling that will slowly diminish over 3-6 months.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/liposuction-austin-CAL-custom-acoustic-liposuction.html

Recovery from liposuction

+4

When done with tumescent anesthesia using long acting anesthetics, liposuction is a very well tolerated procedure and pain is just not a concern.

What is required is using a compressive garment with compression pads to keep the skin splinted in place so it heals nice and smooth. I tell my patients to stay off work a week when multiple areas of lipo are done.

Check out the video below for some info on lipo techniques, and the web link for the importance of compression after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2008/12/10/how-to-control-post-operative-swelling-after-tummy-tuck-2/

Liposuction recovery

+3

Every patient is a little different, but most patients see some limited bruising for about 1-2 weeks. Most of my patients take pain medication for only 2-3 days and then are just sore for 10-14 days. There are usually some areas of residual tenderness even for up to several months, but this is usually very mild and not bothersome. The swelling is decreased significantly by 3 weeks but may take 3-6 months to completely resolve. I would recommend taking about 1 week off of work and start back to an exercise routine about 2-3 weeks after surgery.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Recovery

+3

One of the big advantage of liposuction and liposelection ( ultrasonic/vaser ) operation is a rappid recovery. The recovery time is usually days not weeks and depends on the site and the volume of liposuction. We encourage our patients to return to their daily activities as soon as possible, they can resume their fitness activities whithin weeks. 

Web reference: http://mahjouricosmeticsurgery.com

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction recovery

+3

Liposuction is one of the easiest operations to recover from. We usually recommend that patients take a week off work. During this time we ask patients to stay at home and read or watch tv. You don't need to stay in bed but staying quiet at home will help your recovery. You may feel like you can do more but going back too early usually only prolongs the swelling or bruising. Patients who take the full week off end up ahead because they look and feel better sooner. 

1 week is usually sufficient

+3

Most of my patients are usually back to work 1 week after Liposuction.  It does depend on how much Liposuction is done and how many areas are being treated but the typical time frame is one week.  Keep in mind you will still be sore after one week and it is not uncommon to have additional swelling after a long day at work.  If you are planning a large Liposuction with multiple areas treated and you have a strenuous job you may consider taking a little more time off.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Recovery

+3

The amount of time you need to recover would depend on how many of areas of liposuction you are having done. I would suggest taking at least a week off from work to recover and if you are feeling up to it you can always return to work earlier. Keep in mind that the more active you are will increase the amount of swelling and time before you will see your final cosmetic result.

Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction recovery

+3

Typically, after a liposuction procedure patients will require pain medicine for 2-3 days, and will take 3-4 days off of work.  The number of areas treated will also be a factor.  Most plastic surgeons recommend the use of compression garments for a number of weeks.  The garments are easily concealed under clothing.  Bruising and swelling can be present for 4-6 weeks, and it takes anywhere from 6-9 months for the skin to contract completely in most cases. 

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction recovery varies with the procedure

+3

Recovery from liposuction will vary somewhat depending upon the extent of the procedure performed. Limited liposuction procedures may only require a few days while more extensive procedures may require 1-2 weeks. While the visible incisions from liposuction are quite small, most of the recovery derives from the extent of the areas treated.

This "minor" surgery can cause dramatic shifts in your body chemistry requiring extended recovery periods. Once you have returned to normal day to day activities, you should still wait 4-6 weeks before beginning strenuous exercises. Continue to wear prescribed compression garments during this period to maximize your outcome.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon