Umbilical Float or Full Tummy Tuck for High Belly Button?

I am 110lbs, 5'4" and had twins. I now have a hernia, diastasis, low c-section scar and only a small amount of skin ABOVE my belly button (bb).

I have been on 4 consults and all say I have a high bb. Two would do the umbilical float (because of high bb & little skin) and the other 2 say Full Tummy Tuck.

I am torn. I'd like to do the float b/c for the FTT dr's say I'll need a 2nd vertical scar and a vertical scar (due to lack of skin & low c-sec. scar).

Floating the umbilicus or full tummy tuck

+2

Looking at your belly, it is obvious that you have a very lax distended fascia which requires tightening. Once this is done, one could appreciate the skin excess. There is a long distance between the belly button and the breast bone and a see some skin laxity. I feel you have adequate amount of skin to do a standard abdominoplasty. When properly done you will have a flat belly, the umbilicus could be placed in it's ideal location and the scar can be placed as low as it needs to be. If necessary there could be a small vertical scar above the pubic scar to close the belly button area but most likely this would not be necessary.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Floating umbilicus vs full tummy tuck vs hybrid tummy tuck

+2

You have lots of fascial laxity and minimal skin laxity. You are in my opinion a poor candidate for a full tummy tuck because you will get a hip to hip scar just to fix the deep fascia, and that scar will be high and visible.

I hate the umbilical float procedure. It involves cutting off the belly button and moving it lower, then reattaching it. In my opinion, the belly button never looks quite rightl, usually flatt, and often even looks bizarre. While I do not perform the procedure, I have never seen a satisfactory result.

My advice to patients like yourself is to have a hybrid tummy tuck(R). This involves a C-section type scar, and full tightening of the fascia all the way up to the chest, with a small removal of skin. This procedure requires special retractors and sometimes endoscopic equipment. You are the classic candidate for that procedure.

It looks as though you also have a small umbilical lhernia, which should also be repaired.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Umbilical Float vs Vertical Scar WITH a Full Tummy Tuck

+2

I think the way to go would be to use your old C section scar through which a full tummy tuck with a complete repair of your rectus muscle separation should be done. This will flatten the tummy and narrow the waist.

You also have a somewhat sagging Mons pubis - I would raise it to a youthful position and secure it to the muscle fascia to prevent more upward pull.

Finally, the decision on FLOAT VS VERTICAL scar should be made at the end of the case once everything else has been achieved based on the best cosmetic appearance.

Good Luck

Dr. P. Aldea

Floating umbilicus vs traditional TT

+2

The floating umbilicus is a rare version of a TT. You don't have an easy abdomen but you do have substantial muscle laxity. Once this is proprly tightened, the umbi will rotate down a litle into a more normal position. I'd vote for a conventional TT, possible a slightly higher scar, no vertical scars at all because these look poor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

High belly button

+1
I would recommend for my patients a tummy tuck with diastasis repair and umbilical hernia repair if they appeared as you do in this picture.  An umbilical float is a reasonable alternative, but it would not be my first choice. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Full tummy tuck with higher scar better option for high belly button

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said I do not like the floating belly button technique. In my experience a full tummy tuck with a higher scar and muscle repair is a better option.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck or belly button float ?

+1

When a c section scar is placed extremely low and the patient has a high belly button, she has three options : 1) A conventional abdominoplasty with a small vertical scar to close up the hole after releasing the belly button .  2) Placing a new incision in the bikini line without additional vertical scar. 3) Performing a floating belly button. With any of the above techniques diastasis recti or ventral hernia could be repaired , if necessary. Any of the above options has produced good results in properly selected patients in my practice.    

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with "umbilical float" San Diego

+1

In agreement with full tummy tuck for the shape you will achieve, my preference over umbilical float is to pull all the way down and in from the sides for the lowest possible scar.  If I cannot get it low enough to cover with your preferred panties without excessive tension, will add a short vertical suprapubic midline component that has never been a problem.  It is so well hidden, and can always be revised in the office if it is visible.  You only show a front view, but appear to have enough peri-umbilical connective tissue compliance that plication of full tummy tuck is absolutely necessary.  Your supra-umbilical skin can sometimes advance a surprising amount, especially once the underlying abdominal wall is tightened.  Another helpful measure is progressive tension sutures intra-operatively to facilitate flap advancement and low scar.

Steve Laverson, MD

Hi Belly button

+1

Hi,

You need a standard tummy tuck with some liposuction (yes, a little lipo even in your body can give sharp curves).  If you consider where your panties will be sitting, then your belly button is not really high.  If you float the belly button, then you create an abnormal situation. 

Keep the scar low.  If the circle of the belly button does not come down enough to clear the transverse scar of the tummy tuck, then the circle needs to be made into a line that would be down in the panties.  Light skin....no biggie.

Tighten those muscles and you might find that your small body gets back its tighteness and pre baby conditions.  I think you are a great candidate.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.   Albany, New York 

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Move or not move?

+1

Your anatomy (long abdominal area),  and lack of a lot of excess skin,  is a real  challenge for plastic surgeons. You have two choices, move the umbilicus position down, or accept a small vertical scar just above the usual (not higher) horizontal abdominoplasty scar. In my opinion, a tall woman with a long abdomen does not look good with her umbilicus at the same level as your upper hip bone. Stand in front of a mirror and decide. I would release your abdominal skin as high as possible from your rib area, fold you into an exaggerated position in order to close the abdominal incision, and tell you that you must be able to accept a small verticle incision from the middle of the horizontal scar if I cannot safely close the wound.  I would not pull the abdominal skin low enough to close the wound if it will jeporadize the circulation and possibly lose the entire lower abdominal skin. I've seen this. Be prepared to wear a tight garment for months and perhaps not be able to stand up straight for two to three weeks.      

Robert E. Zaworski, MD