Will Smoking Marijuana Affect Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Will smoking marijuana a week before surgery affect being put under? I suffer from chronic headaches and I'm not a normal full time user of marijuana, but a week ago I did because I had such bad pain. I heard it can affect my surgery is this true? I plan to ask my doctor

Smoking Marijuana decreases the oxygen supply to your healing tissues

+1

Any type of smoking will diminish the oxygen supply to your healing tissues. Smoking is especially important to avoid before any surgery that involves the creation of flaps (complex segments of tissue with their own blood supplies), such as face lifts and tummy tucks.

If you were about to undergo upper eyelid blepharoplasties, routine breast augmentation, or liposuction, you would probably get away with smoking and yet still have a good result. However, I would probably cancel your tummy tuck surgery unless you are willing to undertake a significantly higher rate of complications.

Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Smoking can have adverse effect on tummy tuck healing

+1

Smoking tobacco or marijuana can adversely affect wound healing in any type of plastic surgery, especially a tummy tuck. Smoking causes decreased blood flow to the skin and soft tissues and can lead to a higher incidence of infection, poor scarring and wound healing problems (wound could partially open-dehiscence). It is generally recommended to stop all tobacco products and smoking for at least two to eight weeks before and after elective plastic surgery procedures.

Please discuss this issue in detail with your plastic surgeon prior to scheduling any elective cosmetic procedure.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Smoking marijuana while having plastic or cosmetic surgery (tummy tuck)

+1

Any consumption of combustible products can produce carbonaceous byproducts that interfere with the lungs ability to oxygenate the blood. The effecs of smoking tobacco have been well documented and aggravated by the combination of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia that are all present. Marijuana use may not be as severe as tobacco use but it does interfere with healing nonetheless. I am not aware of the state regulations in Nevada but perhaps you could obtain a prescription pill form of THC, the reported active incredient in marijuana.

I do believe that smoking marijuana can affect your ability to heal after surgery

+1

Especially after a tummy tuck!

When you smoke cigarettes or marijuana, you are inhaling carbon monoxide which binds to your red blood cells where oxygen would normally bind. This will diminish the amount of oxygen getting to your wound where it is needed for healing. It may not be as bad as smoking cigarettes, because you don't get the nicotine when smoking marijuana like you do when you smoke cigarettes, but it is still not good and may still lead to healing problems....wounds opening up, skin dying, or infections. The risk may be small, but may also be complicated by other factors. Definitely discuss this with your doctor.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD