Can Ultherapy Be Used on Your Body?

Ulthera for the Body

+2

FDA approval has been for the brow, but many doctors have been seeing some good results on other areas on the body.

No studies have yet been published to describe optimal selection/parameters for body treatments.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy results on the body promising

+2

There are a number of physicians that are trying Ultherapy for other areas of the body.  These results are preliminary and as far as I am aware have not been published.  The photographs of treaments that I have seen are very impressive but unanswered questions remain.  Foremost in my mind being what percentage of these patients obtain impressive results after one treatment and are there any adverse reactions.  I suspect we will have data presented within the next year.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera approved for face but off-label for body

+2

Ultherapy has been FDA cleared for the upper face, because it is simplest to get the necessary data for approval by doing one area. That means it is off-label for use on other areas, which is allowed per the doctor's discretion but the company cannot market it for that. There are a number of doctors using it for different body areas, and we should expect to see some published research within the next couple of years.

Ultherapy for Body

+1
Ultherapy uses micro focused ultrasound to heat deep into tissue resulting in skin tightening and lifting.  Research is being performed for use off the face.  A recently published article demonstrated that it can be and effective treatment for the chest.

Web reference: http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(13)00775-5/abstract

Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Awaiting data regarding effectiveness of ultherapy off the face

+1
i believe studies are ongoing to investigate ultherapy on body areas such as the upper arms. it would not be surprising to find out it is helpful. at present, it is off label to use it for off the face indications. 
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for the body

+1

Ultherapy has not been FDA approved for the body.  Although there are ongoing studies for this application, we do not yet have data to base treatments or estimates of results for patients yet.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Ulthera is used elsewhere than the brow

+1

Ulthera, although approved for brow and now neck tightening, has been shown through clinical studies to improve skin tightening on the body.  Areas of improvement include the chest or decolletage, arms, and knees.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy Mostly for Face & Neck

+1

The answer to your question is yes.  Ultherapy can be used for other areas of the body.  However, it is only approved through the company for face treatments.  That is where all the published studies have been done and where you'll find consistent data for the results that physicians see in their office.  With that being said, the device can be used off-label for other parts of the body.  It will just take some time before we can see consistent studies with it's use and effectiveness for these other areas. 

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/ultherapy-austin.html

Can Ultherapy be Used on the Body? Can it be used over areas treated with Liposonix?

+1

Yes, I agree with the other doctor's answers about the use of Ultherapy for non facial  areas with excess skin.  I have been using Ultherapy to tighten the skin over areas that I am treating with LIposonix for noninvasive fat removal.  I just started using Liposonix recently as it is a very new technology, but the results of combined treatments with these focused ultrasound devices is very encouraging.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Soon Ultherapy will be available on the body

+1

Currently the Ultherapy treatment is not FDA approved for body treatments. Clinical trials are currently underway to determine the protocols for treatment of various body areas. Our center just finished a study on treatment of loose elbow skin. The results of this study will soon be presented at a national meeting.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.