Ultherapy Before or After Weight Loss?

I've lost 30 pounds, and need to lose another 20. I was considering doing Ultherapy now but wondering if I should wait until I'm done losing all the weight?

Does weight loss affect timing of Ultherapy treatment?

+2

In general, an approximately 30 lb weight loss is noticeable in the face and neck. If you were planning on losing 10 lbs, I would say that it would not matter whether you did Ultherapy now or later. If you are planning on losing 20 lbs, I would consider waiting until after you have lost all the weight first. If you are planning on losing 30 lbs, I would definitely recommend waiting.

The additional weight loss may affect the appearance of your face and neck in the form of volume loss, as well as sagging skin. It makes more sense to treat these areas once you’ve achieved your target weight than to do it half way through your weight loss. Imagine having a treatment now and being happy with your results, only to develop more sagging as a result of additional weight loss. In addition, addressing your face and neck after your complete weight loss also allows your physician to tailor your treatment to give you the best results possible. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dr.Sunder

Ulthera and weight loss

+1

You will most likely get the best result if you wait until you are at your goal weight before having Ultherapy.   However, patients have been treated as part of a healthy weight loss process and have have very good results.  As long as you are losing weight on a steady 1-2 pounds per week basis, not a crash diet, it seems the Ultherapy is able to tighten the skin at the same time.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait it out.

+1

It is probably better to wait until optimal weight is achieved because Ultera is more effective in patients with thinner skin.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Ultherapy after marked weight loss

+1

Having ultherapy before or after a slight weight change should not matter, but IF you have a fat face and want tightening, and then lose significant volume of fat, the Ultherapy's depth of 4.5mm may penetrate to the important deep structures of the connective tissue to help tighten it. If your face is not fat to begin with and your weight loss is in the body area, then it shouldn't make much of a change. However, if you will be losing weight by incorrectly dieting and not consuming enough protein and vitamin C then your collagen production might be jeopardized and the Ultherapy may not be as successful.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy by Ulthera and Weight Loss

+1

Hi San FRancisco in San Francisco,

Sarmela Sunder, MD has answered your question beautifully and accurately.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Should Ulthera be done before or after weight loss

+1

As with any contouring or tightening procedure, we recommend that you achieve your weight loss prior to the procedure and be stable at that weight.  There are two main principles behind this reasoning.  First, when someone is unstable in their weight, any procedure performed is akin to hitting a moving target--we may not achieve optimal, lasting results.  Second, as was stated previously, with a much lower weight your skin laxity may require an altogether different procedure for effective contouring or tightening to take place.  I recommend that you achieve your realistic weight loss goal and be stable at that weight for 6 months prior to any contouring or tightening procedure.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Finish Weight Loss Before Proceeding with Ultherapy

+1

Th amount of weight loss that you are anticipating will effect the treatment results from Ultherapy.  An additional 20 lb weight loss should take about  3-4 months.  It will be worthwhile to wait this amount of time to get optimal results.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on your expectations

+1

Because you are losing a substantial amount of weight which will affect the fat percentage in your face as well, you may be left with increasingly saggy skin.  Ulthera is wonderful for mild to moderate sagging and will help tighten and lift the skin.  Ulthera also improves the tone and texture giving the skin a much more youthful appearance.   Your level of satisfaction will be based on your expectations going in to the treatment.  Even with weight loss, your skin will be improved with the Ulthera but excess redundant skin will probably require a surgical approach.

Dan Mills, MD