How Much Does a Typical 'Hanging' Columella Take to Retract? (photo)

Its been 2 weeks since my open septorhinoplasty. There is still a lot of swelling in the tip and along the small scar where my stitches were and I know this is normal but my columella is hanging down a great deal, approx 4-5 mm. After rhinoplasty is it normal for the columella to swell and appear as though it hangs? How long and how much do the commonly retract- if they do at all? I've spoken with my surgeon but he was a little vague...

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

It is too early to evaluate your rhinoplasty result. Swelling can take an entire year to completely dissipate and during this recovery phase you will see changes. The columella may swell and you may see changes in it. Give your surgery some time to heal!  Time is on your side in this case! Best regards!

+1

It is way too early to know how your columella will heal. If the incision was across the columella then that can increase the swelling even more. Swelling can take a year to completely resolve and in my practice I won't revise a nose for at least a year because scar tissue takes that long to remodel. I think if you are very patient and wait this out you will see how much things change over time. Plastic surgery is not a game of hours to days, it's months to years. It simply takes that long for tissues to recover and in a delicate area like the nose even a tiny bit of swelling can really distort how things appear. Hang tight. You have a long way to go but it should improve.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hanging Columella

+1

Thank you for your question.  based on your photos and your descriptions it seems too soon to assess the shape of your nasal lobule and columella.  I would your columella and lobule to settle over the next 3 to 6 space months.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

It is too early to evaluate your rhinoplasty result.  Swelling can take over a year to resolve.  Only then can a critical evaluation be done.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Hanging Columella 2 weeks post op

+1

Hi,

Its difficult to say whether your collumela will continue to hang. I would give it 6 to 12 months for full recovery. At that point you can reassess the collumela.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS