Tummy Tuck 6 Weeks Post Op Drainage?

Im a 26yr old male lost 130lbs natrually. i decided to have a TT and am now 6 weeks post op i had one drain removed 2 weeks ago but i still have one drain in. after reading all the other q&a on drains this seems to be a long time to still have one in. my drain sum days will be as low as 5cc than the next. day be as high as 60-70 cc my ps really doesnt answer any of my questions and isnt explaing why its like this only thing he has done was put a new drain in 3 days ago.

Post Tummy Tuck Drainage?

+1

Thank you for your question. Drainage after a Tummy Tuck can be a challenge. As uncomfortable a drain is, the drain helps you to heal faster. No drain means fluid accumulation preventing the skin from healing. Usually the volume of fluid decreases each day, and doesn't bounce around. I suggest stripping the drains to ensure good flow, and follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

PS not communicating

+1

You have a post operative seroma which is fairly common. This will likely go away very soon and not be a problem. It is appropriate to place another drain as this will help it heal faster. Sorry your PS does not communicate well, this is probably just his personality. Try talking more to the nurse, usually they relate more to the patient. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Continued Drainage 6 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck

+1

First, congratulations on the weight loss.  That is tough and must have taken quite a bit of effort and determination.  Regarding the drainage - there are two typical types of drainage that can occur.  Blood is fairly obvious and I'm sure you are not bleeding this long after surgery.  Serum however can leak out of the tissues for quite a while.

During the course of the tummy tuck a fairly large raw area is created.  This causes a lot of fluid to leak from the tissues.  There are ways to deal with this and the most common is to place drains to prevent you from developing a seroma (collection of serous fluid).  Most people stop draining within 3 weeks but it is not unheard of to continue longer.

Your plastic surgeon has options to treat the serous leakage if it just won't stop.  Make sure and express your concerns to your surgeon.  Good luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD