How Do I Know if my Muscle Repair Has Come Un Done?

I had a tummy tuck and unbilical hernia corrected 5 days ago and had an over night stay. I needed the toilet to pee and was helped up by a nurse. I felt a sharp pain. I hadnt seen the results as i was wrapped up. As the day went on i noticed i still had a bulge, i was told it was swelling but it looks and now feels like my belly is back. If a stitch comes out would i feel a lot of pain, or could it go un noticed. I feel like there is no difference to be honest except a scar. Im male and 25.

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Thank you for your question. Sharp pain is a sign of strain and stress. The sutures used are usually very strong, and there are a lot of them. If they break, you usually hear a "ping" as the thread is broken. This is rare, and the pain quite significant. Pulls and tugging pain are common in the healing phase, and of no concern unless there is a sudden movement of a slip and or fall. Have your surgeon evaluate your abdomen. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

5 Days and Muscle Undone after Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, you will have a lot of swelling 5 days after tummy tuck.   Your surgeon should examine you to determine if the plication has been compromised.  Alot of males do not need plication, but this may have been performed in your case.  In addition, there may be a visceral fat component in males that may produce less than flat results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck

+1

Although it is possible you popped a stitch, you will need to wait to see your final result. Popping one stitch should not undo the entire operation.

Good luck

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon