Tummy Tuck Recovery and Necrosis Risk Due to Smoking?

I have a Tummy Tuck scheduled in 7 wks. I used to be a smoker for many years but now only smoke socially (10 a month if that). I smoked a few the other day and I am concerned about skin necrosis because of that and my history of smoking.

I am 34, very healthy, and in great shape. I have loose skin and separation of muscles from pregnancy. I am also wondering how the recovery is in comparison to c-section, I have had 2 (very easy). I will not smoke anymore but am concerned about my past and risks.

Smokikng and wound healing problems

+2

An area of marginal necrosis in the middle is not uncommon. This is the area that is the furthest away from the blood supply and under the most tension.  Smokers are at greatest risk but this can happen to anyone.    

Smoking is Dangerous for Tummy Tuck Patients

+2

First of all even a social or "occasional smoker" is still a smoker and this brings real risks to your surgery. Discuss your risk factors such as your smoking history candidly with your plastic surgeon and ask for his advice and recommendations.

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the risk of most surgical complications significantly. This especially applies to all  lifting such as a tummy tuck procedure that you are scheduled to have done. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of all plastic surgery and especially lift procedures..  Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to constrict ( spasm or  tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as tissue sloughing (death by necrosis) and infection.  General complications of surgery such as blood clots (deep venous thrombosis) which can travel to your lungs (pulmonary embolus), anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A recent scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Smoking is a risk to tummy tuck

+2

Smoking has long been recognized as a risk in tummy tuck, and does indeed lead to healing problems for an unfortunate few.

The nicotine causes the skin to be robbed of oxygen, and constricts the small blood vessels to the skin. These two effects lead to breakdown of the incision, or can result in ulceration in the skin, also called tissue necrosis.

After such a big investment in your health and appearance you owe it to yourself to stop smoking at a minimum of two weeks before tummy tuck, and four weeks is even better. Even if the the risk is low it is not worth taking so stop now, rest and exercise to focus your energy on a smooth recovery.

Best of luck.

Smoking and tummy tuck

+1

I advise all my tummy tuck patients who are smokers to quit smoking for at least 6 weeks before and after surgery. Even patients who are only "light smokers" or "social smokers" are at significant risk of having complications such as wound healing problems, skin necrosis, poor scarring, etc. It's always better to be safe than sorry. 

I suggest you have an honest conversation with your plastic surgeon and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck hurts less than c section.

+1

With your history, tummy tuck should be very safe. You don't smoke much, and you will not have smoked at all for seven weeks. You should recover quickly and well.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Smoking and Tummy Tuck

+1

Studies have shown that one cigarette can reduce the amount of oxygen in the tissues for up to 4 hours. With continued cigarette use you can imagine the deoxygenation that can occur. This effect does not diminish immediately after cessation of smoking.

But take heart. The fact that you don't smoke regularly is a good thing. You're 7 weeks away from surgery so you should be fine. As long as your surgeon doesn't place too much pressure on the incision or do liposuction in the wrong areas you'll be fine.

Cigarette smoking is very detrimental to soft tissues because of the over 100 different chemical found in them. So if you're willing to spend significant money on cosmetic surgery then you should at least stop smoking to decrease the untoward effects of tobacco.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Stop smoking to lower risks with tummy tuck and other procedures

+1

Dear Amo,

You sound like a person who is otherwise a good candidate for abdominoplasty / tummy tuck, and would likely have a good experience and nice improvement. Most importantly, you recognize the importance of ceasing smoking (and nicotine products) at least 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.

The other important factor is that you pick an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will likely adapt the technique used in order to reduce risks as well.

Discuss the recovery with your surgeon and his / her staff for more details. Without further discussion with you, it is difficult to compare recovery to a C-section.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Tummy Tucks

+1

Smoking will increase your risk of skin necrosis for any form of plastic surgery. Because most of our work is often at the level of the skin, or is at least somehow altering the tension on the skin (usually increasing it), we are very sensitive to smokers.

In my practice I try not to operate on smokers. f the patient quit for 7 months, as is your case, then I don't consider them a smoker anymore You should be careful to not even so much as smell second hand smoke.. or wait until later in life to quit for real. Don't forget that you also have to be off ciggs for over a month after surgery as well!

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Smoking and Tobacco use and risks of skin necrosis following abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery

+1

I am not one to scare you but any history of smoking creates a higher risk of necrosis. Studies have shown that cessation of smoking for a minimum of 4 weeks prior to surgery can lower your risks but will not eliminate the risk. In one study EX-smokers still had a 50 fold higher risk of necrosis when compared to NON smokers. It is in your best interest to notify your surgeon of your habit. He/she may modify the procedure to lower the risk of complications. In some individuals, I have recommended that they use home oxygen for the first few days after surgery in order to remain well oxygenated during the recovery process. This can be relatively affordable (under $100) and arranged though a home health service or oxygen delivery agency. Do NOT smoke with oxygen present.

Tummy tuck complications from smoking

+1

Nicotine will compromise the healing process and should be avoided for a minimum of 3 weeks before/ after surgery. This includes cigarettes as well as all nicotine products (including patches and gum). The lack of blood flow caused by nicotine can lead to skin necrosis and wound separation.

The discomfort from tummy tuck surgery is well controlled with pain medication. Discomfort is improved once your drains are removed (usually 7-10 days following surgery). The discomfort associated with a tummy tuck should be less than a c-section due to the fact the muscles are not cut with a tummy tuck.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon