Scar Revision or Tummy Tuck to Remove Vertical Scar?

I have a vertical scar on my Tummy and I have been to 3 different plastic surgeons and each answer is different. One says I don't have enough skin for a Tummy Tuck which will lead to problems.

Another says a Mini Tummy Tuck and the other a Full Tummy Tuck. How do I know which one is the right answer? I just want the best outcome with the least problems. Please Help!

Tummy tuck vs scar revision

+2

I agree with many of the opinions on this site, however I think there may be another option that you have not considered. You may benefit from liposuction of the abdomen, with release of the vertical scar from the deep tissues, and fat transfer under the scar. This will eliminate the depression that you have from the scar, without creating a new, red scar that will take up to a year to lighten, and give you a smooth look to your abdomen. I am not sure if you have enough skin to make it worthwhile to do a full tummy tuck, but a mini tummy tuck will not really give you the optimum results from my opinion, from what I can tell from your photo. Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar removal vs. full tummy tuck

+2

There will definitely be a tradeoff between having a horizontal scar and having the vertical scar if you opt for a full tummy tuck. This option would "clean up" the area around the belly button, but the horizontal scar would likely be rather high given that you don't seem to have much extra skin.

The choice will ultimately be yours once you know the pluses and minuses.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Abdominal scar revision expert

+1

An option would be liposuction combined with a scar revision.  This will improve your contours and improve your scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Not enough skin for tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

Of course, it is hard to be sure just from one picture, but I think you should just try a scar revision. Any tummy tuck will give you additional scarring, and probably not completely remove the vertical scar.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mini Tummy Tuck for scar

+1

It appears you have an irregular vertical scar from the picture. The underlying muscle may also be loose causing a midline separation or diastasis.

The excess skin below the belly button or umbilicus could be removed through the vertical scar, improve the appearance of the scar, and at the same time tighten the underlying muscle. An additional horizontal scar may allow more skin to be removed. Liposuction could also be performed to remove any unwanted fat deposits.

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss these options to achieve the best result in rejuvenating the lower abdomen.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Scar Removal

+1

You are options are either to have a scar revision of your vertical scar which will leave you with a scar that will probably be improved from what you have now.

Your other option is a full tummy tuck to try to get the scar completely out and here I dont know if you have enought skin above the belly button to stretch down. Also you will be trading a vertical scar for a longer horizontal scar.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Vertical Scar Removal during Tummy Tuck

+1

You would probably need a standard, not a mini tummy tuck for the best results.  Also, complete removal of the scar will depend on the amount of excess skin you have above the scar.  

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Scar Revision or Tummy Tuck for vertical scar

+1

Sounds like the first and third consultant are saying the same thing -- Full Tummy Tuck. Very hard from your one photo to tell if indeed you have enough skin. But I assume you must so I chose a full tummy tuck. 

Removing vertical scar with tummy tuck

+1

First of all a mini tummy tuck with not address your problem.  Based on your pictures, a full tummy tuck / abdominoplasty should help considerably.  It is hard to say for sure without examining you, but you should get a nice result.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

A Tummy Tuck COULD remove a Vertical scar

+1

The most important point is DO YOU have enough loose skin which would permit the removal of your vertical scar? The only ones who know are the three surgeons who saw you. Without an examination, obstetrics history, pictures of you leaning over and relaxing your tummy all we could do is guess and you should not have surgery based on guesses.

I WOULD tell you that if you are done having children you probably do have a lot of loose tummy skin. Moreover, the higher from your privates you are willing to place your transverse incision the more of the top portion of the vertical scar (and the butterfly) could be taken off.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea