How Painful is a Tummy Tuck?

How much pain is involved with a Tummy Tuck as compared to a C-section?

New Pain relief for Tummy Tucks

+2

There is a new and revolutionary break through in the management of post op pain relief in tummy tuck patients.  A new delivery system for a long acting local anesthetic provides pain relief for 3-4 days after surgery!  The medication is placed at the time of surgery and last for at least 72 hours.  This reduction in pain is leading to faster recovery times for our tummy tuck patients.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and C section are very different procedures

+2

Both surgeries involve cutting through the abdomen skin, fat. The C-section involves cutting through the muscle, entering the abdomen, cutting through the uterus, to then deliver the baby.

A tummy-tuck involves suturing the muscles of the abdomen together to form a tighter abdomen. Recovery for a C-section is different since the patient is also recovering from pregnancy and now has a new child to take care of. It is a little like "apples and oranges." The only real similarity is that both procedures involve the abdomen.

Having said that, most patients seem to indicate that a C-section was tougher to go through, but it is likely due to all the other factors mentioned above.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Tummy tuck pain: The first week is the worse

+1

Dear Demikaz,

There will be some discomfort after a tummy tuck.  Regardless of pain medication or pain tolerance there will be some discomfort after a tummy tuck.  The first week will be the hardest.  Most patients state pain is about 6-7 the first few days to a week and goes down to about 3-4 the second week.  The abdominal binder and good pain meds do seem to help as does the amount of numbing medication that your surgeon places.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Somewhat less.

+1

Hi!

Almost all of our patients in Manhattan who have had both a C section and a tummy tuck tell us afterwards that the abdominoplasty was less painful. But it certainly is uncomfortable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pain / discomfort is experienced differently by different people

+1

In general, there is more dissection involved with a tummy tuck than a c-section. However, people experience pain and discomfort differently. In c-section, there is an intraabdominal component to the operation and the fascia is cut. In abdominoplasty, the fascia is plicated leading to tightness. For the first few days after surgery you are going to feel like you had a big operation. However, by the next week, most people are doing just fine. Most patient do not even finish the first prescription of pain medication that I give them. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck is tighter and more uncomfortable

+1

A full tummy tuck involves tightening or plicating the abdominal wall fascia from the ribs to the pelvis. This maneuver causes most of the discomfort that is not associated with a c-section. The plication can be done in differing degrees but to get a nice flat abdomen it should be fairly snug. Some surgeons will use a pain pump to help decrease the amount of pain that a tummy tuck causes.

I try to get a fairly tight abdomen and use a pain pump for three days after the procedure. The procedure is done on an ambulatory out-patient status and It has been my experience that patients say the tummy tuck is more painful.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

C-section pain is often worse than a tummy tuck

+1

In my experience it's tough to compare the two, simply because a C-section is associated with multiple other variables, including trying to heal while caring for your newborn. In general, my patients say that the pain of a tummy tuck is less than that of a C-section, but both procedures usually require time off from work, help around the house, and pain pills for at least a couple of days.

I actually have discussed this very question with my wife who is an Ob/Gyn, and who agrees it's tough to compare the two. My patients after a tummy tuck usually say it feels like they've done 1000 sit ups, but her patients after a C-section or even a hysterectomy (perhaps a closer comparison) feel pretty wiped out for several days after the procedure.

My short answer: if you're in good overall health, and you got through your recovery after the C-section well, you should not have a problem with the tummy tuck.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

"Tummy tuck" and C section comparison

+1

Both are"real operations" and involve signicant discomfort. The C section is intraabdominal and involves manipulation and entry ino the viscera with temporary interruption of bowel function requiring overnite stay.

In my practice, in the Bronx, abdominoplasty is done as an ambulatory proceedure and most patients say it is much less uncomfortable

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon