Tummy Tuck and Lipo Swelling Worse After Removing Drains

I'm just under three weeks since having a Tummy Tuck and Lipo on my backside, flanks and outer thighs. I had two drains that were pulled at two weeks because they were draining very little. Less than a week later, I have much more swelling through my abdomen and the swelling from the lipo on my backside seems worse too. Is this normal after pulling drains? I was so happy last week but now I'm a little bummed. Is there anything I can do to help reduce the swelling? I'm already wearing a compression garment pretty much all the time. Thanks!

Swelling after tummy-tuck a common concern

+1

Swelling following drain removal after a tummy tuck is not uncommon.  This could represent simple swelling or might indicate a seroma, which should be treated. It is unusual to develop a seroma in the liposuction area and it most likely that this represents swelling that will resolve on its own.  You will want to see your plastic surgeon to make sure that no further intervention is necessary.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

This may well be "normal,' but should be evaluated. See your surgeon. The internet is no substitute for a thorough examination and evaluation by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Drains

+1

You need to return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation to determine whether or not something needs to be done.  Chances are you are fine but make a follow-up appointment now to be sure.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD