Why Did my Mini Tummy Tuck Fail Right Away?

3 weeks ago had mini complex tummy tuck, no lipo, about 1" skin removed. Had 4 hernias which were repaired without mesh. Looked fantastic the first 3 days and within a week it seems hernias reappeared and intestines are spilling out. I am 53, athletic, weighed the same since I was 20. 65", 120 pounds. Hernias appeared after kidney/pancreas transplant 4 years ago. So disappointed, all that pain, time, money and most of all hope, gone.

Limited results with a limited tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

As you have discovered, there are many different flavors of tummy tuck. To understand your results, it is important to understand exactly what was performed during your surgery. A tummy tuck that only removes 1 inch of skin will not have a significant effect on the amount of skin or stretch marks that remain on your body. Your best bet is to return to your plastic surgeon and ask exactly what was performed during the surgery. Let them know of your concerns and asked them how you both can create a plan to address them and meet your goals.

Failed mini-tummy tuck

+1

Usually a full tummy tuck is the better way to go with lax skin and a loose abdomen.  But if you have hernia problems then obviously you have to get that checked out.

Failure and falling of mini tummy tuck

+1

The most common reason for a mini tummy tuck to fail is that it was used when a full tummy tuck would have achieved a superior result.

Recurrence After Tummy Tuck

+1

Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what was done in your surgery, it is hard to know what is going on now.  The only thing I can say is that it is rare to get a good, full result with just a mini-tummy tuck, even with some muscle work.  If someone has a hernis or some sort of diastatsis, you really need a full abdominoplasty to effect the best change.  I would discuss this with your surgeon on your next post-op visit.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon